• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Has anyone successfully 3D printed any type...

I tried some Gen 1 (Palace) M-Frames as a bit of a 3D modelling exercise. I’ll never share the model for obvious reasons. Results were unexpectedly good visually, I actually had them in my car for months as a beater pair. Problem I encountered with the resin was strength related. Comparative to o-matter, its not flexible enough. And is typically pretty brittle (even the “engineering” resins). I couldn’t get the arm pins to work in plastic for instance. Until there’s better resin available, I don’t think it’s practical for wearable pairs.
Few photos below, the in progress pic is a flattering angle, they aren’t fooling anyone who knows m frames, especially if you pick them up (they weigh about 1/3 a real one)

3C850635-1812-462A-81C8-97225DD8552E.jpeg

E903E9CB-823E-4ABD-B161-8280804F0625.jpeg

Well that’s cool! As engineering resins get better every year it’d be sweet to see Oakley enthusiasts experimenting with the forms of frames. As long as you get the lenses to fit right you could essentially make a variation on any model.

I’m a big dfab nerd just waiting to be able to get my own printers / new computer.

Back