• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hatchet Wire...which would you buy?

Which Hatchet Wires would you buy?

• O-Luminum Raw/Ice w/ "O-Luminum" etched all authentic

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Pewter frame & swap titanium clear lenses for 3rd party non clear lenses

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Brian24Xmetal

Oakley Enthusiast
Just looking for input....There are a couple pairs of Hatchet Wires that I'm looking at....one is the darker color (seller lists it as pewter) with titanium clear lenses....I am looking to wear these as an alternative to my Juliets (to preserve the Juliets). The other pair is raw O-Luminum with ice lenses that have the "O-Luminum" etched.

I prefer the ice lenses, but would consider getting 3rd party lenses for the darker frames.

My gut tells me I want the full package of authentic Oakley frame and lenses. Walleva and Fuse make replacement lenses for the Hatchet Wires.

I am leaning toward the Raw/Ice, but what would you do???

Pricing is about the same once you buy the 3rd party lenses for the other pair (within $20 anyway)

Wear the Juliets, they hold up well :)
I agree, O-Luminum will not be as resilient. The weakest link will be the unobtainium, which is still readily available for Juliets (including after market stuff). I have not seen similar support for the Hatchet.

Having said that, would be a nice piece as part of a collection, but would want the rubber with them.

Oh I do wear the Juliets, just looking to scale it back a little bit. I wouldn't mind having a pair of hatchets for the collection as @XMetalAddict said.

Thankfully the X-Man is out there for tune ups if ever needed. My Juliets were basically my daily wear pair for years. Bought them new in '03, have been through a few sets of lenses and a couple tune-ups from Oakley. Just with Oakley lenses becoming more rare for them I'd like to scale their use back a bit.

I know the frames are damn near indestructable. I know O-Luminum won't even be close, but style-wise they're somewhat similar to the X-Metal look, so I wouldn't mind a pair of them.

I like looking at the earlier metal frames like the magnesium and O-Luminum as you can see some of the sculpting/styling experimentation in metal that are also present in X-Metal models.

I am probably wrong but it seems like they were trying to recreate the organic type styling they could achieved easily with plastic, but in a metal frame (I am not an Oakley historian so could be way off base). Happy to be corrected!

I'd choose the Ice pair, m'self...
I have a Raw/VR28Bi that I wear often. The Raw frame is pretty flash (moreso than the Mercury) and always gets compliments.
Their rarity and lack of OEM support make 'em better suited to display and occasional wear, but I just enjoy 'em so much...
8639348314_b455795f0f_c.jpg

Back