• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Have I gone Rogue?

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
It was bound to happen, at some point I was going to get a set of Ray Ban's even if I didn't want them. This happened because my gf heard that the last X-men movie glasses (xmen apocalypse) were missing from my collection, sadly she didn't hear the second part of the sentence "those xmen glasses are missing from my colection... but they are Ray Ban's, that sucks".
So, earlier today she gave me a wrapped box as a present, and when I opened it... TA DAAAAAA! a set of Rayban New Wayflyer? waiffer? wafoo? (I still can't say the name right) with red lenses. As you can imagine I was expecting something else, but I manned up and thanked for the shades and wore them for the day. Now you might think I'm now going to rant about how ****ty they are, but... I can't (don't shoot me :vinsent:). According to the box, they are New "Waffles" matte black with Red mirror lenses (custom made to resemble cyclops shades). First mistake here, they are matte and not polished black like in the movie and after taking them out of the box I knew that even if I hate Raybans, I had a quality product

Here are my impressions vs my 3 sets of 3rd gen frogs:

IMG_5448.JPG

IMG_5449.JPG

1. Matte finish is quite nice, it is very similar to the frogskins souftouch finish. A bad thing is that after 20 minutes of use, the finish stains A LOT at the nose. Frogs get the point here
2. Lenses are red and from the outside, they sorta look like torch (eyes are visible from the outside with low light), they feel sturdy and thick. But there are 2 issues, they are way darker than any oakley lens, and they get crazy dirty, but the inside hue is a nice orange color. Due to issue, frogs get the point again
*** I hate they "etch" the lenses on the outside with white ink, it's stupid and makes them look cheap
3. Weight, not even comparable. I see it this way: RB is an SUV, the frogs are a hot hatch. Frogs win again
4. Fit, weirdly this fit my nose and eyes better than my frogs, less light comes in and the nose is super comfy. The point goes to the New Wifi
5. Frame/Hinges, this feels thicker and well made even if it is heavy, but I also love the light and "agile" frogs. But it seems that if I sit accidentally on both, the the New Waifus will die and the Frogs will just walk it off. Again the frogs take the point
6. Packaging, For what the New Warburton costs you gotta give me something better. The other box is made some uber thin cardboard which broke when I opened the box to take the glasses out the first time. The leather packaging feels cheap and they even charge extra if you want colors... wtf? If I'm paying near $160 for a set shades, I expect a decent protective cover to be included. And they even send you a cleaning cloth which is as thick and rough as my shoe, my shirt is better to clean lenses than that. Oh and no mf bag included. With that said Frogs win the point... again
7. Price, taking into account the current price of frogs in the oakley site vs ray ban prices for the New Woofwoof, Oakley wins every time. Plus getting new lenses is super easy with Oakley (a few colors excluded) and at a somewhat decent price. Ray ban replacement lenses for this things (And take into account they are not polarized) will cost $100 usd plus shipping, that rounds up to $120 approx. I rather buy a new set of frogs. Final Score: Ray Ban+1 vs Frogs +100000...

By now you'd probably be expecting an "F*** you, Ray Ban, stick it up where the sun won't shine" rant right? But as many negative points, I see in the New Wayfarer, I can't really hate it. I think Oakley is quite superior in many aspects, but this Ray Ban it as a decent set of shades, sturdy, well made, and fashionable, I now understand why so many people wear them (even if most of them down here are douches...). I'll definitely wear them, they will never be favorites but they are a nice set of different shades to have. And remember I still love Oakley and will always pick one before a RB, and please don't kill me we're all friends here :drinks:

IMG_5447.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent and funny review dude. I had a pair of Ray Ban Aviators that never got worn, they were so cool to look at but they were incredibly fragile, I sold them on. Love the classic design but they are not for me.

It was bound to happen, at some point I was going to get a set of Ray Ban's even if I didn't want them. This happened because my gf heard that the last X-men movie glasses (xmen apocalypse) were missing from my collection, sadly she didn't hear the second part of the sentence "those xmen glasses are missing from my colection... but they are Ray Ban's, that sucks".
So, earlier today she gave me a wrapped box as a present, and when I opened it... TA DAAAAAA! a set of Rayban New Wayflyer? waiffer? wafoo? (I still can't say the name right) with red lenses. As you can imagine I was expecting something else, but I manned up and thanked for the shades and wore them for the day. Now you might think I'm now going to rant about how ****ty they are, but... I can't (don't shoot me :vinsent:). According to the box, they are New "Waffles" matte black with Red mirror lenses (custom made to resemble cyclops shades). First mistake here, they are matte and not polished black like in the movie and after taking them out of the box I knew that even if I hate Raybans, I had a quality product

Here are my impressions vs my 3 sets of 3rd gen frogs:

View attachment 365786

View attachment 365787

1. Matte finish is quite nice, it is very similar to the frogskins souftouch finish. A bad thing is that after 20 minutes of use, the finish stains A LOT at the nose. Frogs get the point here
2. Lenses are red and from the outside, they sorta look like torch (eyes are visible from the outside with low light), they feel sturdy and thick. But there are 2 issues, they are way darker than any oakley lens, and they get crazy dirty, but the inside hue is a nice orange color. Due to issue, frogs get the point again
*** I hate they "etch" the lenses on the outside with white ink, it's stupid and makes them look cheap
3. Weight, not even comparable. I see it this way: RB is an SUV, the frogs are a hot hatch. Frogs win again
4. Fit, weirdly this fit my nose and eyes better than my frogs, less light comes in and the nose is super comfy. The point goes to the New Wifi
5. Frame/Hinges, this feels thicker and well made even if it is heavy, but I also love the light and "agile" frogs. But it seems that if I sit accidentally on both, the the New Waifus wil die and the Frogs will just walk it off. Again the frogs take the point
6. Packaging, For what the New Warburton costs you gotta give me something better. The other box is made some uber thin cardboard which broke when I opened the box to take the glasses out the first time. The leather packaging feels cheap and they even charge extra if you want colors... wtf? If I'm paying near $160 for a set shades, I expect a decent protective cover to be included. And they even send you a cleaning cloth which is as thick and rough as my shoe, my shirt is better to clean lenses that that. Oh and no mf bag included. With that said Frogs win the point... again
7. Price, taking into account the current price of frogs in the oakley site vs ray ban prices for the New Woofwoof, Oakley wins every time. Plus getting new lenses is super easy with Oakley (a few colors excluded) and at a somewhat decent price. Ray ban replacement lenses for this things (And take into account they are not polarized) will cost $100 usd plus shipping, that rounds up to $120 approx. I rather buy a new set of frogs. Final Score: Ray Ban+1 vs Frogs +100000...

By now you'd probably be expecting an "F*** you, Ray Ban, stick it up where the sun won't shine" rant right? But as many negative points, I see in the New Wayfarer, I can't really hate it. I think Oakley is quite superior in many aspects, but this Ray Ban it as a decent set of shades, sturdy, well made, and fashionable, I now understand why so many people wear them (even if most of them down here are douches...). I'll definitely wear them, they will never be favorites but they are a nice set of different shades to have. And remember I still love Oakley and will always pick one before a RB, and please don't kill me we're all friends here :drinks:

View attachment 365785
:ban:

Back