• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Have I gone Rogue?

Myself I will always be an Oakley guy, once or twice I took a look at costas but never bought. I'm a brand loyalist, even though it kills me Oakley belongs to the evil empire now they still have retained some creative flexibility and foundation. I do have to admit though that's a sick color.

Myself I will always be an Oakley guy, once or twice I took a look at costas but never bought. I'm a brand loyalist, even though it kills me Oakley belongs to the evil empire now they still have retained some creative flexibility and foundation. I do have to admit though that's a sick color.

Yeah. My issue is no one else is really making standout frames either. You can see where many brands dull some edges/cues and shortchange details for production simplicity. The gimmicks and originality also show with many brands.

It's kinda...sad. I think the last brand I was interested in was Nike and their Waporwing, but that price is complete bulls*** — even for the non-limited version.

Yeah. My issue is no one else is really making standout frames either. You can see where many brands dull some edges/cues and shortchange details for production simplicity. The gimmicks and originality also show with many brands.

It's kinda...sad. I think the last brand I was interested in was Nike and their Waporwing, but that price is complete bulls*** — even for the non-limited version.
Your post made me look at Nike, and $400 is definitely too high...that is indeed some bullsh!t........i have in fact a couple of Nike glasses , these X1 are good
IMG_20170813_094231819.jpg

But the best non Oakley i have are these Rudy Limited Edition Quick Step Tralyx , you can still get the white version, but this yellow version is nowhere to be found now.

IMG_20170813_093445746.jpg
IMG_20170813_093329542.jpg
IMG_20170813_093426006.jpg

Your post made me look at Nike, and $400 is definitely too high...that is indeed some bullsh!t........i have in fact a couple of Nike glasses , these X1 are good
View attachment 366706

But the best non Oakley i have are these Rudy Limited Edition Quick Step Tralyx , you can still get the white version, but this yellow version is nowhere to be found now.

View attachment 366707 View attachment 366708 View attachment 366709

For Rudy Project, I've tried their Hypermask (still have it) and Freeon. The Hypermask was a cool concept. I bought them in Rome where I also handed the (new) Zero S, and at the time the Rudy's actually felt more premium to me. But in practice I found them too flimsy and only made sense to wear with the Tri/TT helmet where it's locked in. The updated it to have more rigid arms in the form of the Airblast or whatever. Clipping interface is still awful imo.

The Freeon was a failure by design. The nose area of the lenses were very susceptible to stress cracks. The adjustable alloy arms were cool but a bit of a gimmick.

There definitely are options I'm curious about, like the Agon with the new arm shaping and generally wider-shaped stem designs like your Tralyx or Fotonyk. But from there, I'm still finding some Oakley's to take priority for future eyewear purchases.

So this video makes it look like the Nike Vaporwing is made by a mad German scientist, they also mention Italy right? anyone know exactly were these glasses are made. Would be funny as F if these are actually (also) made in Asia

For Rudy Project, I've tried their Hypermask (still have it) and Freeon. The Hypermask was a cool concept. I bought them in Rome where I also handed the (new) Zero S, and at the time the Rudy's actually felt more premium to me. But in practice I found them too flimsy and only made sense to wear with the Tri/TT helmet where it's locked in. The updated it to have more rigid arms in the form of the Airblast or whatever. Clipping interface is still awful imo.

The Freeon was a failure by design. The nose area of the lenses were very susceptible to stress cracks. The adjustable alloy arms were cool but a bit of a gimmick.

There definitely are options I'm curious about, like the Agon with the new arm shaping and generally wider-shaped stem designs like your Tralyx or Fotonyk. But from there, I'm still finding some Oakley's to take priority for future eyewear purchases.
For sure.......but check this sh it out, these Gozen with the clear frame and special wings will rival any Oakley lifestyle model imo

IMG_20170813_102700158.jpg
IMG_20170813_102743725.jpg

what say you guys, am i wrong here?

Last edited:
Back