• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Have you ever feel like the lenses get scratched just for looking at them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karimo

I am Jim Jannard...
Chile
Today I was cleaning my mesa orange frogskins and a scratch appeared (clean Oakley authentic cloth/bag), the other day the same happened to my new Prizm custom Turbines but that time I was using the Oakley cleaning fluid.
And one time in my car I accidentally touched the review mirror with the lenses while looking for something and guess what... a scratch!
I feel like I have to be extra carefullwhile using my favorite Oakleys.

Are some models or type of lenses more resistant than others?
Is there a real way to remove small/shallow scratches?

The micro bags are not the best to clean your glasses with in my opinion. They are okay for storage, but they pick up everything they touch, which is a lot, then that all gets rubbed into the lenses when you use the bag to clean them. Best to get a lens cleaning cloth, dedicate it only to glasses, and throw away after several uses. There is no way to remove scratches on the lens. They are typically in the outermost layer which is the iridium coating. Can't be fixed. If they don't bother your vision I'd just keep wearing them as is.

Yeah it's the iridium that's the most sensitive, with no way to repair. So the lenses without iridium are more resistant, but they can still be scratched - that's the thing with polycarbonate, you give up scratch resistance in exchange for getting shatterproof lenses...

I'll use the MF bags when I have to, but otherwise I just use the cloths with the cleaning kits (I keep one at home and one with me in my KS) and I try to keep them uncontaminated.

People spend a lot of time washing their bags trying to avoid this.

Yeah it's the iridium that's the most sensitive, with no way to repair. So the lenses without iridium are more resistant, but they can still be scratched - that's the thing with polycarbonate, you give up scratch resistance in exchange for getting shatterproof lenses...

I'll use the MF bags when I have to, but otherwise I just use the cloths with the cleaning kits (I keep one at home and one with me in my KS) and I try to keep them uncontaminated.

People spend a lot of time washing their bags trying to avoid this.
Gotta make sure you wash your bags. Contamination as baaaaaad mmmmkaaaaay? ;)

Also important to note in the washing of your bag is to avoid abrasive soaps. Many soaps have micro abrasives in them. These can also scratch the lenses.

Nice info. I have had similar issues as @karimo and just figured I was scratching the lenses while walking through the woods at work. Half jackets with black iridium polarized with a bunch of really tiny micro scratches that don't affect vision but you can see as you look across the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back