• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Having trouble adjusting to prescription sunglasses

Mgio

Oakley Beginner
I’ve been wearing Oakley sunglasses for almost 2 decades now. As I’ve gotten older I’ve started wearing progressive eyeglasses mostly just for reading. I have a relatively mild prescription, sphere 1.25 add 1.25 and I only really need my glasses for close up.

Anyways, I just bought prescription (progressive) carbon blade sunglasses mostly for reading at the beach. They are the same prescription as my eyeglasses. I’ve been wearing them for a few days now and I’m having so much trouble adjusting. I can’t really pinpoint what is wrong but everything is so magnified and distorted. I’ve gone back to the optometrist and they said the glasses are correct and it’s likely because they are curved unlike eyeglasses which are flat. They said I’ll probably get used to them but it’s not getting better. I love the way they look and they are good for reading but pretty much unusable otherwise (I can’t drive or ride a bike in them).

Anyone else have this issue?

Yes, with progressives you need really flat lenses, the more curve the more it distorts, there’s nothing anybody can do to fix that, if I was you I would take them back to your optometrist and choose different glasses that have a more flat lens

Thanks for the advice. I might have the option to switch from a progressive to a single focal lens but I’m worried that it won’t be any better due to the curve of the glasses. Or maybe a milder prescription as the new sunglasses seem to be overkill for reading.

Thanks for the advice. I might have the option to switch from a progressive to a single focal lens but I’m worried that it won’t be any better due to the curve of the glasses. Or maybe a milder prescription as the new sunglasses seem to be overkill for reading.

Yea I had a cool frame I liked, but due to the curvature with the progressives, I wasn’t able to see anything

I’m wondering whether it is the fact these glasses are progressive that is the problem or if any prescription sunglasses would be problematic in the carbon blade due to the curvature. If so, I’ll just put non-rx lenses in the carbon blade and get something else for rx sunglasses.

Plus power RX lenses (even single vision distance) tend to have more optical abberations in wrapped sunglasses because the base curve (ocular curve closer to eye) needs to be flatter than minus lenses .. usually wrapped sunglasses on 8 base curve only can go up to about a +2.00 but -4.00 Diopters ..

since you have plus power correction in distance the plus power will also help manage your near vision need for additional magnification ... with this type of RX u might be fine just going for distance only ... ur ADD power for reading isn’t to high yet suggesting you still have a bit of accommodative amplitude ..

So my suggestion is just ask to have the sunglasses be distance only .. I imagine you won’t be reading too much out of ur sunglasses but the +1.25 in distance will provide at least 50% of the total +2.50 you need for up close tasks..

Thanks for the advice. I don’t really need my glasses for distance. In fact I find that my regular glasses aren’t great at medium distances, particularly at night (they cause starbursts on lights and some blurriness) so I tend to take them off. I really only want some help close up such as when I am reading or using my phone. Maybe I’ll try single vision at like 1.25 but I think it might have the same prob due to the curvature of the glasses.

I have a set of Rx square wires which have a base of 8.75. Every time I put them on it looks like I am looking in a fish tank for about a minute or two but then my eyes adjust. Granted I don’t have progressive lenses but you are not alone I experience that too. Best remedy might be switching to a 6 base pair.

Back