• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Having trouble adjusting to prescription sunglasses

I also just purchased RX Oakley sunglasses for the first time and went with the progressive lens, but am having a horrible time adjusting to them and they make me nauseous. How long does it take to adjust to them or am I better off taking them back and getting a single vision lens put in them? Having them for close up is great, but not at the expense of feeling sick and dizzy.

So relieved to have found this forum and topic. I got my Oakley Crosslink fit RX frames a few years ago and thought I was losing my mind, as soon as I put them on in the optometrist something felt wrong with them. I told the opticians and they double checked the prescription and told me they were fine, I ended up shrugging, going home and wearing them for a few days but my eyes never adjusted properly. I put them in a drawer and just called it off as a loss.

It doesn't have anything to do with them being progressive. Mine are just regular prescription lenses but I have a theory that since the lens has an unnatural curve to it that regular glasses dont have, that it's causing the brain to become very confused at what image is being fed into it , and makes you feel sick / disoriented.

Here are some photos of mine, that have never really been worn. I felt like I was losing my mind until I read others here having the same experience. Has anyone called Oakley about this to actually get some answers or maybe get our money back or exchanged for a different pair of glasses? This can't be ethical what is going on selling a set of RX glasses that can't be used as RX due to the angle of the lenses.

I noticed that they discontinued some of these frames so I'm wondering if it was an actual issue they realized later on?

This photo will explain the extreme angle and why that people are feeling ill when wearing them or "disoriented"

G9dGXo7.jpg

fKfimG8.jpg

AFqvAvV.jpg

Last edited:
So relieved to have found this forum and topic. I got my Oakley Crosslink fit RX frames a few years ago and thought I was losing my mind, as soon as I put them on in the optometrist something felt wrong with them. I told the optometrist and they checked the prescription and told me they were fine, I ended up shrugging, going home and wearing them for a few days but my eyes never adjusted properly. I put them in a drawer and just called it off as a loss.

It doesn't have anything to do with them being progressive. Mine are just regular prescription lenses but I have a theory that since the lens has an unnatural curve to it that regular glasses dont have, that it's causing the brain to become very confused at what image is being fed into it , and makes you feel sick / disoriented.

Here are some photos of mine, that have never really been worn. I felt like I was losing my mind until I read others here having the same experience. Has anyone called Oakley about this to actually get some answers or maybe get our money back or exchanged for a different pair of glasses? This can't be ethical what is going on selling a set of RX glasses that can't be used as RX due to the angle of the lenses.

I noticed that they discontinued some of these frames so I'm wondering if it was an actual issue they realized later on?

View attachment 914349
View attachment 914350

View attachment 914351

I don’t consider a base curve of 6 to be much of a wrap at all. Plenty of people have 8.75 BC frames with Rx lenses. Maybe @Chris A Hardaway can help you out

I don’t consider a base curve of 6 to be much of a wrap at all. Plenty of people have 8.75 BC frames with Rx lenses. Maybe @Chris A Hardaway can help you out

There has to be some kind of issue with them. I edited my post to show the extreme angle that I'm talking about that fits more along the lines of a pair of sports sunglasses than RX Myopia glasses frames.

Why are there so many posts on this forum about people who have had issues with the Oakley RX frames? I also couldn't find any other sort of frames in the optometrist office with such an extreme curve. I mean they look more like a pair of sports sunglasses, not Myopia frames.

There are a lot of other posts on here about people having issues. and they're all describing a similar feeling, which we've all noticed who've had the unfortunate time of getting a pair of these. Its a feeling which is really sickening and just reading peoples experience it's exactly what I've felt but had trouble putting into words or explaining.

Help! buyers remorse with brand new RX Oakley Straightlink frames/lenses

Another thread about it here and the guy is describing the EXACT same issue with these type of frames. and people are dismissing him and calling in @Chris A Hardaway to "help". There are other people who replied there and said they had the exact same situation. Multiple people in that thread and in this one.

As an example:
If I took my daily wear glasses and bent them along the nose extremely sharp. they would then be at the same wear angle as the oakley RX ones. Which is just absurd. I'm sure if I bent them like that that I would also feel very sick and like something was wrong, and this is likely why that every other pair of frames you see do not have a crazy bend along the nose so they wrap around your face and hug your face.

Last edited:
There has to be some kind of issue with them. I edited my post to show the extreme angle that I'm talking about that fits more along the lines of a pair of sports sunglasses than RX Myopia glasses frames.

Why are there so many posts on this forum about people who have had issues with the Oakley RX frames? I also couldn't find any other sort of frames in the optometrist office with such an extreme curve. I mean they look more like a pair of sports sunglasses, not Myopia frames.

There are a lot of other posts on here about people having issues. and they're all describing a similar feeling, which we've all noticed who've had the unfortunate time of getting a pair of these. Its a feeling which is really sickening and just reading peoples experience it's exactly what I've felt but had trouble putting into words or explaining.

Help! buyers remorse with brand new RX Oakley Straightlink frames/lenses

Another thread about it here and the guy is describing the EXACT same issue with these type of frames. and people are dismissing him and calling in @Chris A Hardaway to "help". There are other people who replied there and said they had the exact same situation. Multiple people in that thread and in this one.

As an example:
If I took my daily wear glasses and bent them along the nose extremely sharp. they would then be at the same wear angle as the oakley RX ones. Which is just absurd. I'm sure if I bent them like that that I would also feel very sick and like something was wrong, and this is likely why that every other pair of frames you see do not have a crazy bend along the nose so they wrap around your face and hug your face.

People mention @Chris A Hardaway because he is an optometrist with a successful business and our resident Rx expert. The thread you linked to, which refers to a straightlink, has a much larger base curve than the ones you have. There are more people here who have high base curve frames with Rx lenses that don’t have issues like you are describing.

Don’t know why you’re getting upset with us here as we’re only trying to help. You prob should have taken care of this when you originally got your lenses. There is a chance there is something wrong with the lenses… maybe how they were made etc. With the amount of time that has passed since you bought them, I’m afraid Oakley won’t be willing to help you.

Hey guys. Oakley clear RX has several levels to quality. Until sunglasses rx which has one quality, only variation is tint/mirror/prizm options.

For Oakley to do anything on refunding or remaking am RX it has to be corrected within 60 days.

My advice next time is to take them to a second optician. A 3rd party that didn't make the glasses. So they are unbiased. That way you can ask them to measure not only the prescription but the measurements including OC and PD. When they take a look at it they could let you know if the measurements are off. Also if everything was made correctly I would have asked for the eye doctor to do a recheck of the prescription. They'll do this for free within 60 days if you aren't happy with the glasses rx. Unless you have that exact same prescription in another frame it could be the prescription that's an issue.

Lastly Oakley can make lenses that are easily compensated for the wrap. They have been very careful to develop frames and lenses that work within a given power range. Each frame might have a slightly different range. That being said I would definitely think either your optician made the wrong measurements, your optometrist gave you a bad prescription, or you got the cheaper Oakley lenses not the digitally surfaced ones that are compensated. Oh, or Oakley made them wrong and your optician isn't skilled enough to catch the error.

Hey guys. Oakley clear RX has several levels to quality. Until sunglasses rx which has one quality, only variation is tint/mirror/prizm options.

For Oakley to do anything on refunding or remaking am RX it has to be corrected within 60 days.

My advice next time is to take them to a second optician. A 3rd party that didn't make the glasses. So they are unbiased. That way you can ask them to measure not only the prescription but the measurements including OC and PD. When they take a look at it they could let you know if the measurements are off. Also if everything was made correctly I would have asked for the eye doctor to do a recheck of the prescription. They'll do this for free within 60 days if you aren't happy with the glasses rx. Unless you have that exact same prescription in another frame it could be the prescription that's an issue.

Lastly Oakley can make lenses that are easily compensated for the wrap. They have been very careful to develop frames and lenses that work within a given power range. Each frame might have a slightly different range. That being said I would definitely think either your optician made the wrong measurements, your optometrist gave you a bad prescription, or you got the cheaper Oakley lenses not the digitally surfaced ones that are compensated. Oh, or Oakley made them wrong and your optician isn't skilled enough to catch the error.

95ac84881040c98c8fdd149e4a34e6c9.gif

Yeah except I didn't get mine made at some website. I had them made in person by a state certified and licensed optician who sent them out for lab works and had them double checked and confirmed they were all within spec.

OR are you the only optician expert in the world we can talk to about this? Surely you don't know better than everyone else?

Also majority of people who had issues with these frames ALSO had their optician check them and confirm they're "correct". Which means nothing since none of us can see properly out of them.

I do not appreciate you coming into each thread and trying to gaslight everyone into believing their lenses were made wrong.

Yeah except I didn't get mine made at some website. I had them made in person by a state certified and licensed optician who sent them out for lab works and had them double checked and confirmed they were all within spec.

OR are you the only optician expert in the world we can talk to about this? Surely you don't know better than everyone else?

Also majority of people who had issues with these frames ALSO had their optician check them and confirm they're "correct". Which means nothing since none of us can see properly out of them.

I do not appreciate you coming into each thread and trying to gaslight everyone into believing their lenses were made wrong.
You’re either a troll or a raging ahole. Either way, good luck.

Are you saying a state certified, licensed optician can never get it wrong?

We didn’t piss in your cheerios, you did by not taking care of this when you got them. If you’re so sure @Chris A Hardaway is wrong then why are you here and not in the establishment where you purchased them from? I’m sure they would love to be talked to the way you are talking to us.

Good luck with that

b516a8e066aef006dddcf2b75ed38968.jpg

Last edited:
Back