• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hello All

Carrera1963

Lover of Juliet
Premium Member
UK
I've had a few Oakleys for a couple of decades now, but I never really considered it a collection - I have collections of other things, but the sunglasses just seemed like something I had a few of. Really enjoying the forum though and have been on a bit of a Holbrook buying spree of late, so maybe it's at that tipping point where it does become a collection...

Started off, as perhaps many did, on Frogskins in the early to mid-90s. Still had my favourite pair around until recently, crystal black with +red iridium, sitting conveniently in the knee glovebox in the car. So conveniently, in fact, that I'd sometimes forget they were there. Like when trading the car in for a new example for instance :( Someone somewhere is driving around with near mint Frogs in the car and they probably don't realise either...

q1fd.jpg

After the Frogs, I was quite taken with the... New Frogskins. Ok, the name sounds the same but they don't really have much in common and it's not a model you hear much about. Though I'm liking Rustpot's collection - particularly without the cracked frames two of mine have suffered from for years. Maybe it's the sign that it IS a collection that I could never make myself throw them out, even though they weren't wearable...

So, with two cracked pairs, and the matte clear showing signs of going the same way, I decided to check out what was happening in the Oakley world about 15(!) years after buying my last pair. I thought I'd go Frog again, but they didn't seem quite right any more. Besides, it would be a little unfaithful to the pair travelling around in my old car! But I wanted something in the same vein, and Holbrooks hit the mark pretty exactly. Eight pairs later in a pretty short time, I'd like to think I was more or less done, but no violet iridiums seems remiss and there are a couple of OCP combos I'm liking. Not sure I can go for white frames any more, even though I did have them in New Frogs, but then I have got crystal red/rubies and Deuce Coupés, so maybe I needn't worry about the white being too loud... I'll photo them together at some point, but the DCs are in the car (I've learned my lesson, they aren't in the knee glovebox...).

I like "vertical" collecting (single manufacturer, single model) so will focus on the Holbrook, but I'm hoping a pair of Juliets on the way scratches any metal itch I might get. That said, I like the look of the Plaintiffs with red lenses in a local opticians - not sure I could make an Aviator-style frame work though.

More than enough for an intro, thank you for putting the forum together.

Welcome be sure to check out the "collections" section and the Holbrook Collections forum. Lots of goodies in there. Now go find a Murasaki! and if you want loud, the FMJ Goldbrook!

Welcome!

It certainly is a bug. No other brand out there has the feel of Oakley.

Formalities out of the way... if you want to let those white/blue New Frogskin go I'd be very interested. Cracked frame or no, I don't have one. Finding another white pair and swapping the orbital might be easier than finding an intact pair. I have a spare black frame with no lenses if you want to rehabilitate your black pair.

In an effort to understand these glasses better I'd be curious to know how you treat your glasses, how you take them on and off, how they fit for you. My history with them is not as long, and I don't wear them much for fear of their frames suffering the fate of the cracked orbital.

Post pictures of the rest of your collection!

In an effort to understand these glasses better I'd be curious to know how you treat your glasses, how you take them on and off, how they fit for you. My history with them is not as long, and I don't wear them much for fear of their frames suffering the fate of the cracked orbital.

I think it's down to how you take them off Rustpot. There's quite an agressive curve to the bridge and the arms and when taking them off, there does seem to be a moment when the arms splay outward briefly and that seems to put stress right on that part of the frame above the orbital. For some reason, the black and white frames seem a little stiffer than the others too, although the material should be the same.

I use retainers on them, so take them off whenever I go inside so there was probably quite a lot of that taking off/putting on cycle. Limiting that might help prolong their life, but then, I'd had all of these a long time before they failed - probably ten years at least. An earlier pair of Texas Teas failed after only a couple of years in the same place, but I liked that frame so much I had to get another pair.

I think I'll try and resurrect the white/blues too, I always liked the colourway, but if I don't get round to that, then I'll definitely be in touch!

I like "vertical" collecting (single manufacturer, single model) so will focus on the Holbrook, but I'm hoping a pair of Juliets on the way scratches any metal itch I might get.
Heh. How plans change.

32 pairs of Juliets after that initial pair later and I don't think I'm done yet!

Back