• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hello from Toronto

Its true, its my first pair of Oakleys. I am reading on here and there are apparently generations, how do you tell

Generations mostly applies to older stuff like Romeo 1, XMXX, Juliets, ect. It refers to different colors of some of the different finishes, and to different years they were produced. Plasma is a great example to use for color because the color of plasma varied so greatly with each generation on some of the models. Plasma on a Romeo 1 looks very silver while on other models looks more golden. When referencing age, the best way to tell different generation is by the serial number. Example XXXXXX plain serial with no letter after would be first gen. XXXXXXA would be second gen, and XXXXXXB would be third generation. They stopped putting serial numbers in 2004, so all frames produced after 2004 have no serials. Some frames were produced with no frame markings at all (4th gen) , and lastly the latest stuff that came out had frame sizes and sku number on the frame (sometimes mistaken for serial numbers)

XS were the last X-Metal frame to be released and only has the frame size and sku on it. I think they had perfected most of the finishes by the time the XS came out and there was very little to no inconsistencies as you saw in earlier frames. I'm sure someone of the other members could chime in a bit more about the different generations, but here's some basics for you. @kronin323 is a great resource for stuff like this.

Generations mostly applies to older stuff like Romeo 1, XMXX, Juliets, ect. It refers to different colors of some of the different finishes, and to different years they were produced. Plasma is a great example to use for color because the color of plasma varied so greatly with each generation on some of the models. Plasma on a Romeo 1 looks very silver while on other models looks more golden. When referencing age, the best way to tell different generation is by the serial number. Example XXXXXX plain serial with no letter after would be first gen. XXXXXXA would be second gen, and XXXXXXB would be third generation. They stopped putting serial numbers in 2004, so all frames produced after 2004 have no serials. Some frames were produced with no frame markings at all (4th gen) , and lastly the latest stuff that came out had frame sizes and sku number on the frame (sometimes mistaken for serial numbers)

XS were the last X-Metal frame to be released and only has the frame size and sku on it. I think they had perfected most of the finishes by the time the XS came out and there was very little to no inconsistencies as you saw in earlier frames. I'm sure someone of the other members could chime in a bit more about the different generations, but here's some basics for you. @kronin323 is a great resource for stuff like this.

What supersharp said is correct; to be more specific, serials ended around December 2004, and SKUs started around 2008.

Also the gen descriptions here are specifically for Juliets but can also be used as a rule of thumb for the other x-metal frames. The moves to unmarked frames and then to SKUs were across the product line, but otherwise not all frame styles were released at the same time, so a 1st gen of one particular frame doesn't necessarily match dates with a 1st gen of another particular frame.

Keep them. I regret selling my 1st pair of Oakleys I bought in 1990 (Razor Blades). I am happy they went to a member on here though.