• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help a Noob Choose a Good XMetal

Fresh

I should Work at Oakley
Mexico City
Hello again,
I've been looking at the XMetal exchange forums and I'm quite interested in a few pieces. I've worn Oakleys for the past 13 years, but I've never had an XMetal before, so I wanted to see what you XMetal experts suggest as a good "start with" model. I'm currently looking at a Juliet, a Penny, XX and I'm tempted by a Romeo 2
So out of the ones I listed which one would you suggest as a good and easy to mantain model? Any recomendation or comment is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Ps. What's a tune up?

Juliet! Easy to aquire and maintain. I would say a good start and plentiful.

R2 are great half frame but, less options as far as lens and rubbers. XX are just a bigger version of a Juliet but with hammer stems. Penny I believe are the smallest of the X metals. I own a pair thanks to a great member but I fear the hinges breaking so I rarely wear them.

You really can't go wrong with X metals... They should last a while with the proper precautions.

Tune up is referred to sending X metals to oakley HQ (bunker) and having the pins and flex coupler in the nose bridge (if applicable) replaced or tightened up. I'm not sure if you can still mail them in but you can get them done for free by walking in to "walk-in warranty" department. From what I heard last year they had about 2 crates left of replacement parts. Not sure how big the crate is but it's an option. You can always try the "X-man", which I've heard nothing but great things.

Juliet would be the best first choice as they generally will fit the majority of face shapes and sizes. They are also the most prevelant so they can be had at a lower cost than the other models you have mentioned. At the very least they will tell you if you want to go bigger (xx, romeo) or smaller (penny). I guess the juliet can really be considered the quinticential x-metal so always a good place to start.

A tune up is simply tightening the joints on x-metals. X-metals are made to flex at certain points to accommodate various head sizes. This constant flexing can cause those particular joints to become loose over time. So a tune up tightens up everything by replacing wornz down washers and flex couplers with new ones. There are a lot of great members on this forum that offer the service if your new pair needs it.

I agree with everybody else. A Juliet should be your first. You can get one for a good price and if you are not totally happy with it, it will be easy to move and at least break even. If you like the Juliet then you can go on and acquire other types of metals

Latest Posts

Back