• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help Buy My First Ever Oakleys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, right now Im kind of leaning towards getting the deep water prizms.... those lens look cool :D does anyone have those? And if so are they good/good for daily stuff?

As for which frames Im going to get... I'm thinking radars or flaks :)

Flaks are definitely more versatile. Radars (and shields in general) can scream "whoa dork alert" in casual settings unless they're just too loud to make sense of.

@Ventruck is very much correct. Radars especially, and sports frames in general, will mostly look dorky if worn casually (I.e. not while playing sports).

In terms of lens type, I have just got into the Prizm line myself, and really like the Daily Prizm. You are right, it is not as 'flashy' as Deep Water but it is amazing as an all day wear in the UK where we have changeable conditions quite often.

Of course, if you do go for Flaks, then the lenses are easily changeable, so I would advise getting Daily Prizm for most use, and Black Iridium for really bright days, and you're set.

You can quite easily pop lenses in and out of most frames though, so don't limit yourself to the Flak. Check out O-Review online for their database of frames.
O-Review

You can filter further, by lens for example
O-Review

My advice is this:
For the lens, don't think that you have to go flashy. I'd go for a good all-rounder first. Choose Daily Prizm. It will go with more outfits, if colour matching is important to you, has great light handling for our shores, and has a nice subtle pink hue when you look thru them.
For frame, I wouldn't go Radar. Go Flak, out of the two you have chosen, as it is more casual, but use the O-Review database to check out the full range.
And finally, for your purchase, use a safe UK online seller with a good returns policy. @Shade Station is a good date bet here. All of their prices are reduced from RRP, good returns policy, and all the current models are stocked. I've purchased from them many times.

Enjoy.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I too am new to the world of oakleys. And as many of the members can attest on here, once you get your first pair, it won't be your last.

Ironically my first pair was a pair of turbine rotors with the deep water PRIZM lenses. I can tell you that these lenses are amazing. I wear them as my daily lens. My second pair of oakleys has the vr28 black iridium polarized lenses in them which are fantastic. There is very little difference in my opinion between the two in regards to what you see, but the deep water PRIZM lens has some unique effects from what I have witnessed.

I had the daily polarized prizms for a few days and ended up taking them back. I have 20/20 vision and those lenses seems to make things for clear and increased the contrast so much that I always got a headache when wearing them.

Either way you can't go wrong with either lens. I attached a pic of what it looks like through the deep water PRIZM lenses.

image.jpeg

My advice is this:
For the lens, don't think that you have to go flashy. I'd go for a good all-rounder first.

I totally agree with this. A big draw to Oakley is the optical quality.

Think of it this way OP: RayBan, Rudy, Smith, SPY, the gas station, and everyone offers flashy reflective finishes. There's no real vanity to it. A lot of people like Black Iridium just fine. The Prizm line has been pretty successful as well, especially for each version's intended purposes. That is the standout aspect of Oakley right now. Sure enough, I haven't messed with other brands in a long time, but last I checked nobody else has put out a line with tints dedicated to very specific disciplines.

I guess in a nutshell, don't buy Oakley's just to look the part unless it's a secondary pair. You're shopping for a primary pair. Being a Flak you can always get additional lenses afterwards. If you do OCP you can already pick a second lens you want to experiment with.

Damn I was going to go with the flak XL with deep water lens... but according to the website that combo isnt a thing and you can only have deep water with the standard flaks :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back