• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help! buyers remorse with brand new RX Oakley Straightlink frames/lenses

Halloween7390

Oakley Beginner
Hi all! New member here, have been reading the forums for awhile but decided to finally join since I have a question with my new Oakley’s.

My new RX Straightlink frames with polarized lenses arrived last week and to my disappointment things just aren’t right. My prescription did not change from my old pair, however when I put on my Oakley’s the vision is blurry, takes awhile to focus and it feels as if I am underwater or in a fish bowl. I know it takes some time to adjust to new frames as the shape is more curved than my regular RX glasses but something feels off. Unfortunately, I have read some reviews and horror stories suggesting that you should NOT put rx prescriptions into the Straightlink frames due to the curve and that your eye sight will always be distorted. When I wear them, I can see, but not perfectly and things do not stay in focus, especially at a distance.

Please let me know if any one else has had similar issues with these frames or something like it. I am going to give them a try for another week at work to see if my eyes/brain adjust but if not, I will be going back to the eye doctor where they were purchased sadly.

Thank you all for taking the time to read/respond to this. I was so excited to get a nice pair of Oakley’s for the greenhouse work that I do but am experiencing buyers remorse after spending over $400. The glasses themselves are amazing, just wish the RX didn’t give me a headache.
Thanks again,
Ryan

I have two pair of Oakley Rx that give me vertigo when I wear them. Oddly enough, I have a pair of clear holbrooks that do this, and a pair of Titanium sunglass Rx that do not. I have sent them back, and they came back the same.
Also my trail Prizm in Racing Jackets do this. I have told my Rx gal, and she cant finger it out. My Rx is up to date on all pairs I order. I cant wear them.

I have two pair of Oakley Rx that give me vertigo when I wear them. Oddly enough, I have a pair of clear holbrooks that do this, and a pair of Titanium sunglass Rx that do not. I have sent them back, and they came back the same.
Also my trail Prizm in Racing Jackets do this. I have told my Rx gal, and she cant finger it out. My Rx is up to date on all pairs I order. I cant wear them.
👀

Oh wow that sounds awful, sorry to hear that. My fear is the same, and I am worried that it is the lens shape and how it fits on my face creating the curve/fishbowl feeling. Luckily, my prescription is right in all of my glasses, and the rx hasn’t changed in years but the sporty style is different than the flat frames of my regular glasses. I appreciate the response! It means a lot.

It really depends on your RX, and if they have astigmatism, or progressive "bifocal" lenses. The more power, the more astigmatism, if you have a reading/progressive-bifocal part that increases the chances for feeling dizzy.

Keep in mind that Oakley won't RX higher than what the average person could handle. Go have the RX glasses rechecked that they are correct, almost more importantly have the "OC Height" and the "PD Measurement" rechecked. If those 3 things aren't correct they owe you a free remake.

I would not recommend against an 8.75 base curve frame like straightlink unless your RX is above a +1.75 sphere.... Or if it is "above" a -3.50 sphere. Also Astigmatism (CYCLINDER ON YOUR RX) above a -1.50 might be tricky.

If you think any of your RX power "numbers" are higher than stated above, try a flatter frame. Like the Oakley Sylas, Oakley Gascan, Oakley Fuel Cell, or even the Sliver Stealth and Holston.

It really depends on your RX, and if they have astigmatism, or progressive "bifocal" lenses. The more power, the more astigmatism, if you have a reading/progressive-bifocal part that increases the chances for feeling dizzy.

Keep in mind that Oakley won't RX higher than what the average person could handle. Go have the RX glasses rechecked that they are correct, almost more importantly have the "OC Height" and the "PD Measurement" rechecked. If those 3 things aren't correct they owe you a free remake.

I would not recommend against an 8.75 base curve frame like straightlink unless your RX is above a +1.75 sphere.... Or if it is "above" a -3.50 sphere. Also Astigmatism (CYCLINDER ON YOUR RX) above a -1.50 might be tricky.

If you think any of your RX power "numbers" are higher than stated above, try a flatter frame. Like the Oakley Sylas, Oakley Gascan, Oakley Fuel Cell, or even the Sliver Stealth and Holston.

Thank you so much for responding Chris, this information is really helpful. I will be going back to the eye doc to have them double check everything is correct.

As far as my RX, my sphere is -3.25 with a -1.25 cylinder for both eyes with a slight variance in the axis (right eye is 160 and left eye is 20). Hopefully that is still okay for these frames?

I truly love the design and how they offer total sun coverage, so I’m gonna try and see what I can do. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and explain. Fingers crossed it all checks out at the eye doc or I will have them remade/replaced. Thank you again for all your responses.

Best,
Ryan

Latest Posts

Back