• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

HELP - Got a nice pair, but 'smoked'

MJLSr

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
So I scored a LNIB Emerald Juliet. The frames and lenses are perfect, and the rest would be too if it didn't smell like smoke!

Rubbers boiled 4x and much better, but still not ok - easily trashed and replaced, no big deal there, cut my losses and move on...

But the box, and the foam, oh... the foam!

Right now I have the fabric softener sheets cuddled up in a ziplock bag, even wrapped the paperwork, all snuggled and bounced up together, literally. I may move to baking soda in a day or three - I know it could take weeks. Does anyone here have advice other than 'air it out' or 'get your $ back' (I already got a partial refund well worth the frames, lenses and coin - so I am ok $-wise, but would be a shame to trash a box and I can't even bring it in the house, have to leave it in the garage! :eek:

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear this but I think it's a lost cause, it'll never go away completely, especially the foam.:(

Does it smell like tobacco or weed?

It is the former - tobacco. I already figured the foam was shot, though it is tight, and possibly could be washed. The paper would have to absorb... I'll leave the box in a mix of fabric softener sheets, baking soda, and potpourri and hope for the best?

The frames and lenses are perfect so no worries there - polish and cleaner = all good.

There is also the ground coffee - that kills anything, maybe it will work here?

Literally hundreds of pairs passed through my hands and I have never encountered this before. I guess there is a first time for everything! :idk:

This is a tough one for a person who does not smoke. The smell seems to never go away. I think there is a thread on it though on ideas.

I searched, maybe not well enough... please share [links]. I think I am on the right track, cutting my losses. I think I have a few good leads, been avoiding smoke long enough I know when to quit!

I saw the cologne thread... similar approach here with the smoke.
If I just save the sunnies I'm happy, and I'm pretty much there.
...and not every deal is a winner winner chicken dinner
We all lose sometimes, it happens.

Sell/trade/donate to a member that doesnt mind the smoke smell or smokes themselves?

Back