• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help! M-Frame Vs M-Frame 2.0 Lenses Difference?

Isaac

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys, glad I stumbled into this forum!

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the normal M-Frame lenses and the 2.0 ones (i.e. the Military Issued ones)?

I know the middle top is different, there is a hole to clip the 2.0 version.

What I want to know is, is there any difference in curvature between the 2 lenses?
Also is the nose bridge shape exactly the same?

I ask because I want to get these prescription inserts for my M-Frame: http://www.esseyepro.com/U-Rx-Insert_191_detail.html

T
hey say they fit the M-Frame 2.0 but do not mention the M-Frame.

I really want to get some inserts and have found no other options. I cannot Rx the glasses directly because my degree is too high.

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

The short answer: Maybe

The long answer:
From the Spec sheet they give, the U-Rx uses a replacement nose piece to interface with the Oakley glasses.
http://www.esseyepro.com/uploads/files/ESS_U-Rx_Retail_TDS.pdf
So it really depends on how they're interfacing with the lens.

Ballistic M Frame lenses have additional molded clips to hold the nose piece in place, but the newest generation nose pieces (that came with my 3.0 frame) don't use the clips and have a stiffer rubber that's a similar friction fit to retail lenses.

ESS is owned by Oakley (or were before Oakley was then bought out), so I suspect there's a bit of cross-function built in for that reason. You can always call their customer service department and see if anyone there knows or can answer that specific question about the nose piece. It may be that since ESS is more focused on eye protection solely they decided to market the carrier through them.

As far as the 2.0 being specifically mentioned, it's probably due to the 2.0 currently being the only APEL (Approved Protective Eyewear List) frame Oakley has.

This website lists it for the 3.0 frame.
http://www.tacwrk.com/en/oakley-rx-carrier-prescription-m-frame-30-5925

Thanks Rustpot! That was very helpful.

I've been trolling tons of webpages on google but can't find any detail on dimensions of the nose bridge of the M-frame and M-frame 2.0 lenses. It's ridiculous. I contacted customer service at ESS, asking the lady to check with production if it would fit with the M-Frame but she kept replying to me now and kept pasting whatever was already written on the site. I really don't know if I should believe her or not, or if she's just dismissing me because it was plainly stated at the website.

Do you know if there are any prescription inserts for the normal M-Frame?

I would love to get them Rx-ed but the optometrist says my combined power in my right eye is too high ): Sigh.

There are prescription carriers that will likely fit, but I don't think any will be as slick as this ESS one.

The nose pieces are very close to the same. A Ballistic nose piece will fit a standard retail lens, but it's a bit loose since it's supposed to be held in by the lens's hooks. The bottom hook and the standard retail nubs are the in the same spot, so you could conceivably cut a small slot in a retail nose piece and use it in a Ballistic lens.

But if they're using the most updated system (as rolled out with the 3.0) I think it interfaces with the top hook and bypasses the bottom? I can't recall, both of my latest lenses live at work. If they're utilizing the lens hooks you might need to glue it on to get it to fit a retail lens. Which might be ok unless you use different lenses all the time.

I don't have any ESS dealers local it looks like, or I'd try and see if they had one I could look at.

Thanks Rustpot very helpful again.

I found another carrier...an Oakley Rx Carrier Kit: http://www.emperionstore.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=32146

Now it says there "Fits an all M Frame / Goggle line"
as do some other websites...but I just realized how non-specific they are and I don't know if the mean all Ballistic only M frames or what's the story...

I won't be changing lenses at all, so I don't mind gluing....but would rather not if I could avoid it.

I'm having alot of trouble finding images of the lenses of both M Frames without the nose piece...so it's really hard to tell if there is any difference. From what you say there might be some? i.e. are there no lens hooks on a normal M-Frame lens? (sorry bout this I was planning to buy a pair but haven't got around to it because of this prescription issue)

The plan is to use the M-Frame lenses (Red Iridium) which is why I'm not interested in the M-Frame 2.0.

Thanks again. really really appreciate it! :)

Here's a clear retail lens with a grey Ballistic lens behind it. You can see what I'm talking about.

0513632D-4EEC-4710-92D4-A9DACF6483AF-8442-000007AE7D3E9044.jpg

Keep poking until you find something local, or order from a website that will accept the return if it won't work.

If I knew of someone around me that carried one of these products I'd go try it myself. My location is next to my name. If you want to find someone in the north metro Detroit area that has one I can go check out I'd be happy to see what I can find out.

That's a fantastic image.

Thanks so much rustpot. I really really appreciate it :)

Now I gotta ponder over what sport glasses to get again...damn my eyes!

Well, as I was pondering, if the U-Rx carrier doesn't REQUIRE the hooks to stay put, the retail lenses still have the bottom one. It really depends on how subtly they interface.

You just gotta find the right person to talk to.

If you poke around and do the leg work to find someone who carries the ESS or another product nearby to me I'll be happy to check it out.

If you find someone close to you who deals with ESS and Oakley they might have experience in using one of these.

It looks like it would be really nice since you'd be able to convert the glasses back to non prescription if you wear contacts at all.

Yeap my thoughts exactly on the convertibility!

Unfortunately, I live in Europe at the moment (Ireland specifically) so it's very difficult to find these kind of things around here.

Right now I've managed to look around for good images of the normal nose pieces, and together with your excellent image, have come to the conclusion that I should be fine, as long as the Rx Inserts don't fall off, which they won't since the bottom "hook" is there. I don't see the point of the top hook to be honest, but maybe it does provide better grip for the more intense military operations.

That said, I think I'll got with the Oakley Rx Carrier Kit instead: http://www.emperionstore.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=32146https://canadastandardissue.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=210

T
he nose pieces look generally similar to the normal ones at the attachment points to the M-Frame lenses. I think these might do the trick...(well I certainly hope they do! I'm not a contact lens fan).

I'll probably order them and give them a shot!

Any opinions on them from yourself before I take the plunge?

Cheers man!

Back