• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help My Penny's need surgery

lawman0210

Oakley Expert
I just received some awesome lenses for my Penny's and Mars from Infinitehero. Went to take the lenses out and barely got the one out. The other looks like its just a circle. not a right angle on that Bi&^%. Can't get any tool to grab it and its tight. Any Ideas?

Are we talking about a screw? If so, some hardware stores sell tapping kits for small, rounded-off screws.

Yes. I looked at Sears Micro easy outs but they still look to big. need to cut a small slit to grip the head. I am just afraid of tering off the head. Then I am in deep trouble. i am wondering if a jewelry repair shop could get it out

Easy outs aren't... Search this subforum for "stripped screw" or "stripped t6 screw". Search works good here. My best results have been to drill out the t6 head, spread the orbital over the drilled out head and insert needlenose pliers into the gap and back the remaining screw out. Soak it liberally with WD-40 first then it generally backs right out.

Of course use caution when drilling the head so as not to marr the orbital slot surrounding the screw head. Don't be afraid of damaging the head just man up, obliterate it and pop the frame open around it.

I put a few drops of penetrating oil in the screw socket and carefully covered the rest of the lense and frame from residue. I let it sit for an hour then sprayed some WD-40 in the hole and let it sit overnight. When I got up i used a little more WD-40 and tried to see if any of my 475 bits, screwdrivers and allen wrenches etc would get a grip. No luck. So i got out the Dewalt drill and put a 5/64 bit in (smallest i had) and began the agonizing task. I slowly drilled stopping every few seconds to make sure I was drilling at the correct angle and not hitting the sides. I waited for that distinctive pop, that little give when the bit pops through. Once that occured I got out a 7/64 bit and centered it in the hole and started again. Drill, stop, blow out, wipe, drill stop, blow etc. I repeated that until again i felt that slight give. I was then able to pull on both parts of the frame at the same time and pop. I then popped out the lens, washed the frame off several times with some mild dish detergent and water. Wiped and can air dried. made sure the grooves were clear and put my new custom Rubies from Infinitehero in. Now I just need to get 2 new screws and washers. Gonna wear them a while and maybe send them to Xman to redo the bridge. They have some give and causes the end of the frames new my temples to be a little straigh and not curve to my face as much as I like.

Getting my 4 digit carters tomorrow and taking out the Black iridium and putting the ice lenses I got from Infinitehero. Can you guess what pair will be posted in the "what you wearing today" forum

Hardy har har

Back