• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

HELP - Need Some Comments Or Advise

S-works

奥克利专家
Singapore
Hey all,

as some of u may know, i live in Singapore and i buy all my Oakleys on eBay, Amazon and Oakley Online as prices here are crazy expensive and hard to get limited edition models.
I make use of a reputable logistics company in Portland, OR as my mailing address in the US. It helps,
1. Consolidated shipping to Singapore to lower shipping cost (i usually consolidate 3 or 4 pieces)
2. Solves the issue of sellers who do not ship worldwide

Anyway, i won a bid on eBay 2 weeks ago from a seller (100% positive feedback) in Florida, paid up and he shipped via USPS Priority Mail (with tracking #) within 3 business days. Package arrived in Portland last week... so i thought all was good. However, the logistics company e-mailed me 2 days ago to tell me that this package arrived tampered (unsealed) and empty. There was a note stuck on it from USPS stating "RECEIVED UNSEALED AND WITHOUT CONTENTS AT PORTLAND OREGON".
I contacted the seller about this and he replied right away that i should contact USPS saying they would have to notify the USPS post office in Florida, he also mentioned that the item was packaged at the post office and that they witnessed the item going into the box. He also did say to keep him updated on USPS reply to me on their findings if any. I have contacted USPS via e-mail 2 days ago, but have yet to receive any reply or acknowledgment.

This is the first time that anything like this has occurred, all my previous numerous purchases and shipments never had any issues.

My thoughts right now are:
1. someone opened the package and swiped the item during transit from Florida to Oregon. - i believe the item is long gone... :(
2. I believe the seller did what he said. I don't think USPS will accept any parcel that is unsealed and empty in the first place. - am i right here?

Next course of action:
- if USPS can't resolve this, i should file a claim thru eBay against the seller.
- I feel bad claiming against the seller for something beyond his control, but it bums me out to have paid for something i did not receive - he can claim insurance from USPS correct?

so... that's the story... i would appreciate any comments or advise from u guys on this matter or what i should do next...

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

P.S. pic of the tampered box... photo taken by logistics company (names and addresses have been blanked out)

rcpt090811024527.jpg

Hmm. USPS is pretty good about their packages, but postal workers stealing items is not unheard of. There was a story on the news a couple years ago how one mail carrier was keeping all the Netflix DVD's that people were mailing back. He got caught and was prosecuted.

If the seller said he packaged it in front of them, and someone shady saw what they were, i wouldn't put it past them to open it up after payment.

Whenever i ship USPS, i always make the box indiscreet, purchase signature confirmation, and insurance if the value of the item is more than $50. If your seller didn't purchase insurance, that's on him. I feel you have the right to file a claim on Ebay. It's not fair for you to have to pay for something that didn't make it to you or in this case, your logistics company.

Now that i see the picture, how do you know that sticker "Received unsealed and without contents in Portland Oregon" is from USPS? That doesn't look like an official label. Since i see the signature confirmation label on the box, i'm assuming it got tracked through the sort facilities and should have been noted at some point in the USPS tracking system. Does the website note that?

For me, you pay a seller P&P to deliver the item to you in the condition as described. You don't pay them P&P to pop it in the post and then what happens after that is the luck of the draw. The item never arrived and therefore the onus is on the seller to refund you now and for them to make a claim from USPS, not you.

yeah... it was possible someone shady saw him putting the item into the USPS box. It was a limited edition pair complete with artwork box.

It was the logistics company that informed me of the note supposedly placed by USPS.
I truly do not believe the item was swiped by the logistics company, i've had more expensive and valuable Oakleys pass thru there w/o issues. I have to inform the company to expect the packages, inform them of tracking # and value of the item in order for them to receive my packages. Furthermore, this company is associated with a local bank in Singapore, so it's definitely reputable. I had a total of 5 packages going in around the same time last week, but this one had issues, the remaining 4 items are on their way to Singapore.

Thanks for your comments and advise, SpliceD. I'll wait a few more days to see if USPS reply / resolve this before following up on filing a claim thru eBay.
Not something i'd like to do, as i'd rather have my Oakleys... *sigh...

@ SpliceD - USPS website did not not anything about the tampered package, transit activities below:

Detailed Results:

Delivered, September 08, 2011, 11:30 am, PORTLAND, OR 97230
Arrival at Unit, September 08, 2011, 6:11 am, PORTLAND, OR 97230
Processed through Sort Facility, August 30, 2011, 10:38 pm, ORLANDO, FL 32824
Acceptance, August 30, 2011, 9:21 am, KISSIMMEE, FL 34741

@ jk-27 - thanks! its not the money... just totally bummed that i didn't get the item that i've been wanting to get my hands on... :(

@S-works
bad to hear that dude!!!
i would say let the seller make the claim agains USPS. it´s bad for him as well, because he have the trouble. but the insurance should give him the money back...
in this way, both get the money back and it´s a lost limited Oakley not more! you will find them again!
if you would claim agains USPS you will have the whole hassle to deal with them...
makes no sence. pay pal have some realy close time windows for every action....

Wow that's too bad...I have a friend that works at USPS and unfortunately if the package was not insured there is very little you can do. Your best bet would probably be to file a claim through Paypal...

you should be able to get your money back because usps weighs the package at each interval/scan, so they should be able to pinpoint around the area they were stolen from....

Latest Posts

Back