• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help Needed - Your Tips on How to Take the Best "For Sale" Photos

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
What are your tips on how to take excellent photos of your sunglasses "For Sale"? Please leave a comment below!

Some tips I think are helpful:-
1. Ideally, use indirect natural lighting without flash photography ie. not in bright direct sunlight, turn flash off manually.

2. Always take photos of the lenses from behind with a light source in front of the lens. I find that a white bright computer monitor screen is excellent, because it gives a non-reflective consistent light to visualise the lens defects. But you can also use the base of an Oakley cabinet (or equivalent).
image-jpg.jpg

Photo credit : @Jakeracefox from his current XS For Sale

3. Take a photo of all the items included in one photo.
juan-pelota-jawbone-1-jpg.jpg

4. Take photos from ALL sides. Typically, I take photos of the front, left side, right side, top, bottom, from behind with glasses in "open" position and with glasses from behind in "folded" position. If there is writing or serial number is important, I will take the inside arms as well. e.g. See @MagneticG's excellent Ruby Carbon Prime listing which has most of the angles we want to see!

5. A flattering angle is oblique and slightly "looking up" to the sunglasses
96c9f04c7c9bcc151770463812f2259f-jpg.jpg

Photo Credit : @V2oak's incredible 23rd custom "Walking Dead" Gascan

6. Take closeup photos of any blemishes - this stops people from constantly asking you how bad the scratches or damage is. Often it's hard to describe defects with language that is clear to both parties
img_3888-jpg.jpg

Photo credit : @Fresh

7.Make the glasses fit within the frame of the photograph and "fill the frame"
20160920_184358-1.jpg

Photo credit : @X-Metal Beast from his current Medusa For Sale

8. Try not to have too many distracting objects around the photograph (if possible).

Why Bother to Take Good Photos?
I think that a lot of the reasons why people get mad when they receive their items (aside from outright fraud) is because of wrong expectations from the seller's side e.g. they think that the item is worse than described. The description of the item is important and part of the "description" of the item is the photographs you take.

There are some sellers who are notorious for describing their item rather "optimistically" ie. they may overestimate how good their item really is. That's why photos are necessary. It's why GOOD photos give peace of mind to the buyer.

Of course, there are always sellers e.g. @X-Metal Beast who describe their items exceptionally well. In fact, Marc underrates his items, so that it's always a joy to receive something from him. Because they are what he says they are! And more often than not, they're even better than you were imagining. On top of his "no-nonsense" descriptions, are excellent photographs, which makes a perfect triad of things that a seller wants ie. good price, excellent (under-rated) description, and excellent prices.

Last edited:
This is a good one. Pictures are everything when it comes to sales. I can't tell you how many steals I've gotten because the pictures were **** and I took a chance. Just don't let the old ladies see this. I need to still get my **** cheap lol

Latest Posts

Back