• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help! Not done being outside but my prescription is getting BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Toddljack

Oakley Beginner
First time poster looking for advice on sunglasses rx. I have a 6.25 sphere in my progressives and really don't see any brand besides O. I have been back and forth with O.com but my favorites seem to have been discontinued, on top of that I have gotten a tiny bit of mixed messages that don't jibe with what comes up when ordering. FYI my worst side is -6.25/+2.25/100/add+2.25 with distance pd 64. Thanks in advance for any insight!

First time poster looking for advice on sunglasses rx. I have a 6.25 sphere in my progressives and really don't see any brand besides O. I have been back and forth with O.com but my favorites seem to have been discontinued, on top of that I have gotten a tiny bit of mixed messages that don't jibe with what comes up when ordering. FYI my worst side is -6.25/+2.25/100/add+2.25 with distance pd 64. Thanks in advance for any insight!
Your best option is doing "flat" rx frames. But I could do non Oakley lenses in fuel cell, Holston, or even a half jacket 2.0 xl...
You are right at the limit and I believe past the 5.00 or 6.00 of most sunglass models

Your best option is doing "flat" rx frames. But I could do non Oakley lenses in fuel cell, Holston, or even a half jacket 2.0 xl...
You are right at the limit and I believe past the 5.00 or 6.00 of most sunglass models
Thanks for the reply! My worry with non oakley lenses is that sunglasses are usually waaaay to light transmitting. I boat on rivers 8 months and ski 4 months, if there was a polarized lens that did double duty of snow and water that was lower light transmission that would be great. I have owned non rx water jackets, single rx razorwire? and non rx gascans which fit great. Ideas?

Polarized Gray lenses are pretty dark... but if we were to add a blue mirror they'd be even darker. They just scratch slightly easier when you add that mirror.

Those would be too dark for skiing though. So maybe a dark bronze polarized would be best. Or even go read about younger optics Polycarbonate drive wear..Drivewear is polarized and works by changing from green to brown to copper in the sun.

Those could work in your rx in the right frame

Thanks Chris those Younger Drivewear looked good, still concerned about light transmission. A lens too dark for skiing is hard to imagine, what would you use it for? Second to low angle sun on the river is a blue bird day on the slopes, in my mind. Maybe I need to quantify light transmission like O has a percentage of transmission in their specs for lenses. Is that percentage what the your industry uses to gauge the "brightness" (besides glare, which polarization or anti glare coatings are supposed to take care of)? So on O.com I would seem to be dropping around 700 for my rx in a really limited selection of frames. Are the Younger Driving lenses much more? I like the frames that envelop like gascans but I do see professionals guiding with just frogskins or holbrooks so maybe I am over reacting, or over sensitive who knows. Again thx for your time!

Please call a few local shops. You probably are best trying various lenses on in person.

Sorry I can't provide more help on this issue.

Ps- if you want to do Progressive lenses you shouldn't buy online anyway. There are many special measurements required.

$700 is totally normal and in the ball park. Especially because you are needing something special. Cheap glasses could be made for $300 but people's time is worth money.

I always tell people, the more features you want and the better quality you want... like these, the more you'll pay.

A cheap pair of glasses is: no customer service, and no guarantee, plus poor quality.

Hey you helped plenty. I will effort the shops to see in person, I live in the country so it is good to research before I load up the donkey and trek to town! Thanks again

Hey you helped plenty. I will effort the shops to see in person, I live in the country so it is good to research before I load up the donkey and trek to town! Thanks again
You are welcome ... I'm glad I could help w the basics so you have ammo now when you shoot into town.

Latest Posts

Back