• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help please

Doc Chop is currently working on a pair for my brother. He wore them for 10 years until I literally took them off his head. I cut a set of sapphire lenses and he is doing an engine turned finish.
20151221_131046.jpeg

All o-matter. The plates are sonically "welded" to the frame instead of glued; opaque plates on a clear frame that has been painted on the backside. The sonic "welds" were better in theory than practice as that's a common point of failure, the plates coming off.
All correct but the "welding" sure pops off like glue.

All correct but the "welding" sure pops off like glue.

IIRC I learned about the sonic "welding" from Dann's video review but maybe they would have been better off gluing them with a quality epoxy; the weld's a fail... I'm guessing that's what Chop will use on that pair...

All o-matter. The plates are sonically "welded" to the frame instead of glued; opaque plates on a clear frame that has been painted on the backside. The sonic "welds" were better in theory than practice as that's a common point of failure, the plates coming off.

This just helped me decide, I don't need a Plate. My wallet thanks you, sir.

Back