• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help polishing Juliet

Depending if it's 1st gen or not yes. 1st is painted later generations are bare titanium.
Later gen is not bare Ti. It will not polish until the plated finish is removed. You might be able to polish the plasma finish but not to the same level as mirror polished Ti.

I've polished out a some untouched later gen plasma and also anodized later gen plasma as well. There is a fairly tough oxide layer that forms over time but from the ones I have done they are bare titanium. Non 1st Gen plasma frames anodize without any stripping of any finish. Hence the bare titanium they seem to be.

Here is a test you can do on the plasma. Use Mothers or Blue Magic metal polish and a soft towel. The chemicals and abrasives will break down the metal and start polishing, turning the towel black on bare Ti. On the plasma it will only clean it, towel will remain the color of the compound unless of course they are dirty frames.

Yes there's is an oxide that naturally forms on titanium. That's what you have get through to get to the titanium. But it also forms on polished pairs as well over time. Like I said I have anodized untouched plasma frames and they anodize readily just as bare titanium does.

IMHO the polished pieces can get pretty glossy, jewelry grade, shiny with the right rouge and a buffer, dremel or otherwise. i have been advised that the heat generated through the process does affect the final outcome.

IMHO the polished pieces can get pretty glossy, jewelry grade, shiny with the right rouge and a buffer, dremel or otherwise. i have been advised that the heat generated through the process does affect the final outcome.

Yes getting the part warm when polishing tends to make a bit of an orange peel look to the finish of the metal.

Smoothing out imperfections and casting marks by sanding is the best step you can start with to end up with the best final results when polishing out a pair though. The smoother you start with before polishing the better the end result will be.

Back