• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help Restoring A Single-wide Display Case

Yo Flawch!

Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NJ, USA
Hey guys,

I just found my first single-wide display case. I'm sure you're familiar with the 4-shelf X-Metal case. It is in really nice shape. I had a question about the aluminum vertical corners. What do you use to clean up the aluminum. So far I've tried a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, a No-Scratch (blue) scrubbing pad, Goo Gone, Car Cleaner Wax, and extra fine steel wool. The steel wool seems to be the best so far. The Magic eraser does help a little, but the steel wool seems to be more effective. Do you have any suggestions for cleaning up the corner rails of this case? I already order the plexiglas restore the door and possibly the "walls".

Any advice would be welcomed.

IMG_0512_zps7fc6beac.jpeg

IMG_0155_zps58125a60.jpeg

Congrats on the new case, just picked my 1st up yesterday. I see yours has the light, I'm looking for one for my case now.

It has the diffuser lens at the top, but no light. I ordered custom LED lights from a vendor on eBay. It's 3 separate 10" strips, connected in line, so I can have three rows of lights (front, middle, back). It will have a remote control with dimmer. I am making non-Oakley case. It is all real glass with aluminum corners. On that case, I have two 16" LED strips, again with remote and dimmer. Thanks for the tip on Mothers. I'm going to Pep Boys right now to get some. The Plexiglas treatment should be here next week. I have about 20 pairs of glasses, so this case is going to fill up fast ;)

My father had a 1963 split window in the silver finish. It was a beaut! What are the specs on your whip?

Mothers Aluminum Polish works well......left side of pic below was after using a little bit.
2011-09-04174703.jpg

The Mother's was not what I was looking for . I was polishing the panels more than the original finish. So I went back to steel wool. It's a lot of work, but I have the corners almost where I want them. I have to pick up the finest grade of steel wool tomorrow. I used the 2nd to finest... I would just like to get it a little smoother if possible. The lights are coming this week, and the plexiglas repair system is already here.

Back