• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help with a Mag Switch

wbroshea

Oakley Enthusiast
I need some help identifying what I have and making sure it is authentic. I purchased a mag switch. They were advertised as a pearl with fire iridium. I could tell from the pictures that the frame was not pearl, but more likely dark carbide. However, the lenses did look like fire. The guy I got it from made this claim "My friend was the designer of these and gave them to me many years ago." When I got the glasses, the frames looked like dark carbide, but this is my first mag switch, but the lenses are clear with fire iridium tint. I asked the seller about it and he claimed this "I was given these by the designer of them at Oakley. I don’t know if they might be prototypes but I’m sure they are Oakley."

The frames, assuming they are authentic, are actually in really good shape given my understanding of the difficulty of these types of frames. The nose bridge tightness is similar to a freshly tuned juliet and any markings on the frame are on the sharp edges. The rubbers are in basically new condition at least when comparing to xmetal rubbers. So here is what I am looking for, confirmation that the frame is authentic and if anyone believes the sellers story on the prototype claim. Reason I ask is because I was planning on changing out the lenses and I know the easiest way is to cut out the lenses but I don't want to destroy something kinda cool. My suspicion is that the Seller's friend, whether at Oakley or not, had a dark carbide sets lenses replaced rather than being some prototype, but I wanted to get the forums input before I did something drastic like cutting out the lenses. Thanks for sharing any knowledge you have on the subject. I have included a few pictures for reference, but if anyone needs to see a specific picture to give an opinion, just let me know and I will get it for you.

IMG_20210427_035929.jpg

IMG_20210427_035206.jpg

IMG_20210427_035223.jpg

IMG_20210427_035234.jpg

Looks genuine to me and I think they have a rare ruby 'clear' lens - you can see the blue base tint to them. There are other members on here who could give more info on them but that is what i'm thinking...
I would be interested if you are thinking of moving them on...

So if these were something rare or different, yes I would sell them. But mostly because I want to wear a pair and would feel bad ruining a collectors item for someone else. I would probably only do so after I found a frame in similar condition as these.

As far as the lenses go, I think ruby is a much better description of the iridium coating. I don't have any fire lenses but I do have ruby juliet's and they look similar just these have no tint. However, the lenses do have ruby marks that won't come out and do affect vision.

@wbroshea check out @cacatman ’s page:
Thanks for the mention, bro

Looks genuine to me and I think they have a rare ruby 'clear' lens - you can see the blue base tint to them. There are other members on here who could give more info on them but that is what i'm thinking...
I would be interested if you are thinking of moving them on...
Contact me second, if @mjt42 passes on these.

Back