• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help with First Oakley Purchase

What art forms?
Both of my black belts are in American Karate systems - I have ranks as well in Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan, Isshin-Ryu, Ninjustu, and probably one or two others that I can't think of right now. I did a good bit of boxing as well.
I was a bit of a martial arts nerd I guess.

Both of my black belts are in American Karate systems - I have ranks as well in Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwon Do, Shotokan, Isshin-Ryu, Ninjustu, and probably one or two others that I can't think of right now. I did a good bit of boxing as well.
I was a bit of a martial arts nerd I guess.
Dang, you must have studied for years. I took a couple art forms through the years, as well. Most were Hapkido based...the one school, my favorite, was more mixed. It was Hapkido, Jujitsu, boxing, Tae Keon Do, etc...

Dang, you must have studied for years. I took a couple art forms through the years, as well. Most were Hapkido based...the one school, my favorite, was more mixed. It was Hapkido, Jujitsu, boxing, Tae Keon Do, etc...

That's awesome! Do you still train?

I started Tang Soo Do when I was a young kid and just loved martial arts. I tried to train in a variety of styles to become more well rounded and flexible. American Karate systems are pretty much a mixed form as it is. My 3rd dan was in a system based on Tang Soo Do, Boxing, and Kenpo as well as full contact kickboxing. My instructor was ranked in the old PKA Karate.
The other American system was based on Shotokan, BJJ, Judo, and some Kung Fu, among other things.
It's all ultimately traced to Bruce Lees Jeet Kune Do. Mixing styles and being able to adapt to the situation. All styles have their strengths and weaknesses.

That's awesome! Do you still train?

I started Tang Soo Do when I was a young kid and just loved martial arts. I tried to train in a variety of styles to become more well rounded and flexible. American Karate systems are pretty much a mixed form as it is. My 3rd dan was in a system based on Tang Soo Do, Boxing, and Kenpo as well as full contact kickboxing. My instructor was ranked in the old PKA Karate.
The other American system was based on Shotokan, BJJ, Judo, and some Kung Fu, among other things.
It's all ultimately traced to Bruce Lees Jeet Kune Do. Mixing styles and being able to adapt to the situation. All styles have their strengths and weaknesses.

I just do more of a cardio type karate now. It’s a good way to stay in relatively good shape and beat the crap out of some targets and shields. I find it quite therapeutic...

When I was in my 20s I did some full contact stuff, using body armor, and didn’t care for it. I found it made me quite anxious of injuring someone or being injured. But, it probably is the best way to train short of being in the octagon...

Back