• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Help With My First Pair Of Prescription Sunglasses... G30 Or VR28

D Parker

Oakley Beginner
A few questions for the folks who may know more than me about this subject....

1. In general, will prescription lenses of the same type be a little darker than non-prescription lenses... For the simple reason that they may likely be a little thicker? If so, I'd like to take this into account when making my selection.

2. Same ole question, new student. I have narrowed down my choices to the G30 iridium polarized and the VR28 black iridium polarized. They will be going in my pair of Minute 2.0's. They will serve as my everyday, all day sunglasses for general use, with golf being my primary hobby/sport, followed by bass fishing in south Louisiana. As best I can tell by looking through sample lenses at Lenscrfters, there is not a world of difference between the two, although the vr28's appear to be just a shade darker (no pun intended). Any advice from you general users out there to get me off the fence one way or the other?

3. Are either one of these notably better than the other at the beach, in brighter light and more glare? I suppose the specs would suggest the vr28's would get the nod here.

4. Another question for the 100th time... Is either one of these lenses definitely gonna hide my eyes any more than the other from the outside? I would prefer that my eyes not be visible..

Well guys, thanks in advance for any input you may have. Need input quickly though, my frames are in the mail headed to the Oakley shop in CA.

Have you worn polarized lenses a lot in the past? Particularly when golfing? I ask because some people don't prefer polarized and some people have their depth perception altered. And there's a group of people who get blurred vision and become dizzy when wearing polarized glasses.

G30 Polarized is a 15% lens

VR28 Black polarized is a 10% lens

So the VR28 is going to have a darker tint, a stronger iridium coating, and be a bit more opaque.

I'd recommend the VR28BIP without hesitation, but it is pretty dark to be your only lens option.

I have VR28, VR28BIP, and G30, but no G30 polarized to compare directly. But a 15% lens like +Red or Blue is suitable for me in most light. A darker lens might be more comfortable in brighter light, and polarized is definitely needed around water for me.

I think G30 polarized might be a more suitable all-rounder.

I would go with VR28 Black Iridium (non-polarized). Good, versatile lens that can be used in a variety of weather conditions.

Thanks for the quick input! G30 polarized it is. I'll let you know how they do for everyday and golfing glasses when they come in.

I just had a pair of fast jackets on yesterday with g30 polarized lenses at the O store in the mall of Louisiana in Baton Rouge. If I wasn't getting prescription lenses, they'd be on my head now...

Yes, I do. Since getting a recent eye exam, I've already had to splurge for a pair of Oakley (prescription) indoor glasses so I'm going to use my existing Oakley sunglass frames for my first legit pair of prescription sunglasses. That said a pair of Rx Fast Jackets is definitely on wish list:)

Yes, I do. Since getting a recent eye exam, I've already had to splurge for a pair of Oakley (prescription) indoor glasses so I'm going to use my existing Oakley sunglass frames for my first legit pair of prescription sunglasses. That said a pair of Rx Fast Jackets is definitely on wish list:)

Cool, I've had dedicated Oakley prescription frames before and they are now sitting on my display. I usually wear contacts so I figured I'd get a pair of Fast Jackets so I can swap out the lenses when I can't wear my contacts. I got the Oakley transition lenses so it can double as sunglasses when needed but most of the time I have standard Oakley sunglass lenses in them. The transitions are only for emergencies such as if I break my contacts or my eyes get irritated. I think they are great.

Back