• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Here is a poll/survey to express your opinions about custom cut lenses with partial etching.

Which describes your feeling about custom-cut lenses with partial etching?

• Part 1b: I am familiar with custom-cut Oakley lenses, and don't want to participate in this poll.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Part 1d: I am unfamiliar with custom-cut Oakley lenses, and don't want to participate in this poll.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If there's going to be a partial etch on a custom cut lens, I'd prefer it to be hidden by the frame itself. Otherwise, it's like a peripherally scratched lens if the etching is not readable or doesn't make sense. Even if the partial etching is out of view when using, it's still annoying to me if I can see it from the "outside".

P.S. I have a Scelzi R2 which is one of the largest obtrusive etchings in the history of Oakley. Due to it's significance, it will remains part of my collection, but truthfully, I dislike wearing them because the signature is a continued distraction.
Can you post a pic of that?

Can you post a pic of that?
Here is mine.
d4a6f9e2db2f9c24910328be12199825.jpg

That's a pretty lotta etching ;)

If I had no context, and didn't know they were R2s, I would've assumed that etching said "Maui Jim."

Question 4 isn’t clear. I have some for wear pairs, but I don’t consider the lenses part of my collection. More like disposables that are better than aftermarket because they’re optically correct. Actually, does anyone know if any of the aftermarket lenses are “XYZ” optically correct?

Question 4 isn’t clear. I have some for wear pairs, but I don’t consider the lenses part of my collection. More like disposables that are better than aftermarket because they’re optically correct. Actually, does anyone know if any of the aftermarket lenses are “XYZ” optically correct?

Here is what I meant by that question.

If you had a pair in your collection (wear or no wear doesn't matter to me, as I wear all of my glasses), and you needed lenses for them (either replacing old lenses or getting new lenses for the first time), and your only choices were a pair of Oakley custom cuts with partial etching, or a pair of quality aftermarket lenses, which would you choose? People don't always agree on this, but when I think "quality aftermarket lenses" I mainly think of Linegear, Fuse, and Ikon, but there are others that are excellent quality.

I've become anti etching myself, partial or full, mainly because it does obstruct the vision, even if it's on the edge of the lens. I have no problem with prizm cuts, but always try to avoid etching. Not a fan of polarized, with or without etching. IH etch on Juliet was so distracting, that I stopped wearing them. Some Oakley donors I like, only have the option of prizm & polarized, such as DWP & SWP; I'll have them cut for some frames, as long as the etching is completely avoided.

IMO, there's no logical reason to have anything at all etched on any lens that one plans to wear. As much as I like Oakley lenses, I prefer quality AM lens, than an Oakley with etching.

My tastes keep changing. I don't mind factory etching (FE) if I can't see it when I wear the glasses. I have many pairs with FE that have absolutely no obstruction for my eyes... that's fine with me. If I had a pair with distracting FE, that would really bother me. I think I tend to wear/adjust glasses to sit lower on my face/nose, which might contribute to the lack of obstruction.

I remember when I had Square Wire 2.0 and A Wire 2.0 Thick lenses with factory etching, I could see the etching on the SQ2, but not on the AW2T... but eventually lost all of those factory lenses to cracking and delamination.

Just looking through my collection, I still have many pairs with FE. The most surprising pair with non-obstructing FE is my bronze Gen 1 Valve... because the lenses are small but I still don't see the FE.

Back