• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Here's the new x metal

I like em. Proably just going to be out of my price range. I think the Badman will sell better. In a few years the madman might be worth a lot because it will be rare. Or it might sell like crazy. Who knows.

So I'm looking at that bit in the middle of the stem where there appears to be a screw. Adjustment screw? Can you add a bit of angle to the stems for a tighter fit perhaps?

If so, barring ingenious design, I forsee issues with wear there. It's not a ton of pressure, but to put it all on a few threads of a tiny screw could lead to stripping. Placing it all on the tip of a tiny screw could lead to wearing/breaking of the contact surface. We all know about the issues that can crop up with the NON load-bearing screws in x-metals.

On the other hand, if that isn't an adjustment point, what's the point?

Oh I see it now. The stem is half plastic, the screw holds it together. I hope the screw is more of a stop than a load bearing connection though...

Nice pic! :) That gives a much better idea of the product than the stock photos.

It is interesting with all the Al/Mg/? frame material talk that they are listed as X Metal (Metal)

I guess we'll know when we know! (looking forward to find out!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like both designs but the Madman design leaves me questioning how functional they are as sunglasses with such a huge open area over the nose bridge. It would appear as others have said that they are some sort of metal/plastic hybrid, obviously a cost cutting measure but then why price them at that price point? If that nose bridge is plastic like it appears to be you'll be seeing a lot of pairs broken in half, and arms that snap off from regular use. I guess there is a chance that it could be carbon fiber and not plastic but even that material would be questionable to use in those spots.

I can appreciate the effort but I'm left questioning who would half ass the rehash of the portion of the brand with a dedicated cult following.

It appears Shadestation has removed all pics and info regarding the new frames. I dont know for sure if they were not supposed to put it up early or Oakley had them pull it down. But so we don't get a nastygram I have edited a few posts. I will follow up with Shadestation to see whats up on their end. If they had to remove it, we also will follow through with keeping pics off of here till further notice. The thread will remain open for discussion. I will also be emailing my contact to see if its ok with them. Thanks guys and gals!

Ok, after a bit of discussion with a ShadeStaion rep, the links where prematurely put up live on their website. Whether it was a "teaser" to the public or not, they are aware and have been removed. So with that being said, no hard images are to be posted to a forum thread.

Latest Posts

Back