• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hesitant To Buy X-Metal Due To Loose Nosebridge

Pete Crowley

Oakley Beginner
I'm looking for either Pennys or Juliets which I plan on wearing pretty much every day. I've never had a pair of x-metals, and was rather surprised to find out about the loose nosebridge problem. Besides the apparent necessity of paying $70 to Oakley for service every year, I'm scared of the possibility that once the X-metal line is discontinued they'll stop servicing them entirely. From what I've read in other threads this is already happening with the Penny. Can anyone offer me reassurance that Oakley will continue to service the Penny and Juliet, or, even better, is there an another option to getting the nosebridge tightened?

Even though I prefer the Penny and Juliet, I'm now considering X-Squared to avoid the expense and hassle of having to pay for service.

i got my penny and xx tio2 serviced at the hq months back, but it brought it myself.

and for your concern about the nose bridge, the rubbers lasts more than just 1yr with normal wear.

The funny thing about that, is I don't believe any of us can reassure you what Oakley will do for warranty work. I will say if you care for your metals then the nose bridge issue shouldn't worry you. You could always consider the X Squared which potentially you could work on yourself as the nose-bridge portion is accessible for tightening.

The penny has an advantage over other metals as its the only metal frame (other then the half X, but the half X has NO FLEX COUPLER in the nose bridge) that has spring hinges, which takes the stress off the nosebridge. There are a couple of threads that we talk out how to put on and remove metals to extend the life.

Thanks, guys. Keep working, qtrain23, that'd be awesome. So if I buy the Penny, and am careful to put on and take off correctly, how long do I have until the nosebridge becomes an issue?

rivets can be easily popped out by carefully tapping it out from the front. and OP, the XS will suffer the same problem
with flex couplers. the screws merely replace the rivets but the looseness comes from worn out rubber bits. if you take care of it they'll last years.

Back