• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hey does anyone have a link to a video of a pair of X metals being strength tested/driven over by a car?

JeremyLaurenson

Oakley Enthusiast
Premium Member
Earth
You hear this sort of stuff all the time, but there are definitely some over statements like “it would require 10 pounds of steel for the same strength”.

I’m actually interested if we have a video somewhere of a real strength test that shows just how awesome X metal frames are

Anyone want to sacrifice a pair?

😆

You hear this sort of stuff all the time, but there are definitely some over statements like “it would require 10 pounds of steel for the same strength”.

I’m actually interested if we have a video somewhere of a real strength test that shows just how awesome X metal frames are

😆
Do you? Lol not my xmetals

Don't get me me wrong I love my X-Metals. But it is "just" Ti64 which is by no means special. It's neither the strongest (not even close), nor hardest, nor lightest (nor anything for that matter) alloy. It does have its sweet spots for certain applications like if you need the strength of a low alloy steel at an acceptable mass (aerospace) or something that is galvanically compatible (corrosion resistance). Or if you want to make cool shades for no other reason than that you can.

So don't fall the marketing claims. It's just that: marketing.

Don't get me me wrong I love my X-Metals. But it is "just" Ti64 which is by no means special. It's neither the strongest (not even close), nor hardest, nor lightest (nor anything for that matter) alloy. It does have its sweet spots for certain applications like if you need the strength of a low alloy steel at an acceptable mass (aerospace) or something that is galvanically compatible (corrosion resistance). Or if you want to make cool shades for no other reason than that you can.

So don't fall the marketing claims. It's just that: marketing.
Blasphemy!!!

no-gasp.gif

😆
If you're willing, I'll run yours over with my truck but don't expect to wear them ever again.

Back