• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Hi from Nordics. Engineer researching options for Rx in Juliet or X-Metal XX?

Hi
First post and intro.
I'm an engineer from Scandinavia who loves Oakley Titanium frames and not afraid of repairing things.
Prescription lenses are really expensive here and difficult to find for sport glasses. Good progressive lenses at local optician here are about 1k USD without polarization or mirror finish. Taxes are 25% of imported products plus shipping.
I'm considering getting my first pair of progressives and my corrections/cylinder are below 1.5 in magnitude.
X-Metal XX and Juliet are favorites I hope to own one day, but need a plan to find prescription lenses before buying frames.
Aiming for 1-2 pairs but fear it may become an addiction...
Measuring pupil height using photometry in relevant Oakley-frame I hope would enable ordering progressives online...

Any advice on how/where to order good progressive lenses online for around 400 USD worldwide fully optioned or maybe even
500 if within EU would be appreciated.

I noticed Linegear hinted they are capable of providing prescription NXT-lenses for Juliet and XX, anyone tried that?

... or maybe US options for export to EU?

Other ideas even is slightly more expensive are also welcome.

Cheers from Vik.
I can help with single vision in that price range or less. Distance or reading correction only. I don't recommend doing progressive online, or measurement yourself.

I would do you a progressive in an existing X-Metal if you already had a pair, with Rx installed. So that I could copy those measurements. It won't work copying that info from another frame!

Thanks, stay in touch in the future if you have an RX copy and want "single vision" in xx X-Metal or Juliet

Hi
First post and intro.
I'm an engineer from Scandinavia who loves Oakley Titanium frames and not afraid of repairing things.
Prescription lenses are really expensive here and difficult to find for sport glasses. Good progressive lenses at local optician here are about 1k USD without polarization or mirror finish. Taxes are 25% of imported products plus shipping.
I'm considering getting my first pair of progressives and my corrections/cylinder are below 1.5 in magnitude.
X-Metal XX and Juliet are favorites I hope to own one day, but need a plan to find prescription lenses before buying frames.
Measuring pupil height using photometry in relevant Oakley-frame I hope would enable ordering progressives online...

Any advice on how/where to order good progressive lenses online for around 400 USD worldwide fully optioned or maybe even

I noticed Linegear hinted they are capable of providing prescription NXT-lenses for Juliet and XX, anyone tried that?

Cheers from Vik.
Welcome to the forum. As others have mentioned, the Oakley X-Metal Discussion area will be of interest to you. I used wear RX lenses in my Penny frames but it became too expensive and difficult to find optometrists who could still get lenses for the Penny. These days we have more options thanks to several forum members. I just use contacts with my frames now. I don’t suppose contact lenses are an option?

I can help with single vision in that price range or less. Distance or reading correction only. I don't recommend doing progressive online, or measurement yourself.

I would do you a progressive in an existing X-Metal if you already had a pair, with Rx installed. So that I could copy those measurements. It won't work copying that info from another frame!

Thanks, stay in touch in the future if you have an RX copy and want "single vision" in xx X-Metal or Juliet
I started researhing what input is needed when ordering pregressives and understand the many things can go wrong are likely reason for you not recommending doing progressives online.
My plan is to learn what is needed to order progressives, try to collect all needed info and if not able to do some measurements pay my local optician to help if possible.
If I don't give up and do some progeress I hope to document my findings in a suitable thread.
If not possible to order online at least I will learn something...
What I figured out so far follows.
"Position of wear" define various measurements tilt, wrap, vertex distance.
Tilt come both from angle of frame on face and nartral angle of wearera head.
Wrap is angle describing how much frames are wrapped around the face.
This one I expect can be tricky to measure on X-metal Juliet being rubber tensioned in the middle (wrap angle will depend on how the frame sits on my head, so need to measure while wearing...).
Exact measurements the finished lens contour (and cutting profile) must have I expect is needed if the optician does not allready have that data for the specific frame on file.
I guess how to specify that is defined in ISO13666 (that I don't have, so just guessing).
Possibly this mean I need to trace a drawing from a frame and send it in suitabler format (hoping DXF or other reasonably open format works so no proprietary software needed).
If any above is not done correctly any lenses based on that will be equally incorrect, so if I ever try this I need to study real hard to minimize risks of potentially ordering faulty lenses...
If i do all this I still respect anyone in the business who chooses not to take the risk letting me order progressives online.
For me this is a learning project hopefully rewarding me with progressives for X-metal Juliet I would not be able to get in other ways.

Welcome to the forum. As others have mentioned, the Oakley X-Metal Discussion area will be of interest to you. I used wear RX lenses in my Penny frames but it became too expensive and difficult to find optometrists who could still get lenses for the Penny. These days we have more options thanks to several forum members. I just use contacts with my frames now. I don’t suppose contact lenses are an option?
Thanks for your advice. I'll read relevant forum areas.
I ordered X-metal Juliet on ebay that I will use with contacts until I find a way to get progressives.
Progressives is better for me since I start having trouble seeing far and close with same correction...

Hi
First post and intro.

Cheers from Vik.
Xx metals

I started researhing what input is needed when ordering pregressives and understand the many things can go wrong are likely reason for you not recommending doing progressives online.
My plan is to learn what is needed to order progressives, try to collect all needed info and if not able to do some measurements pay my local optician to help if possible.
If I don't give up and do some progeress I hope to document my findings in a suitable thread.
If not possible to order online at least I will learn something...
What I figured out so far follows.
"Position of wear" define various measurements tilt, wrap, vertex distance.
Tilt come both from angle of frame on face and nartral angle of wearera head.
Wrap is angle describing how much frames are wrapped around the face.
This one I expect can be tricky to measure on X-metal Juliet being rubber tensioned in the middle (wrap angle will depend on how the frame sits on my head, so need to measure while wearing...).
Exact measurements the finished lens contour (and cutting profile) must have I expect is needed if the optician does not allready have that data for the specific frame on file.
I guess how to specify that is defined in ISO13666 (that I don't have, so just guessing).
Possibly this mean I need to trace a drawing from a frame and send it in suitabler format (hoping DXF or other reasonably open format works so no proprietary software needed).
If any above is not done correctly any lenses based on that will be equally incorrect, so if I ever try this I need to study real hard to minimize risks of potentially ordering faulty lenses...
If i do all this I still respect anyone in the business who chooses not to take the risk letting me order progressives online.
For me this is a learning project hopefully rewarding me with progressives for X-metal Juliet I would not be able to get in other ways.
Also, I will need your P.D. interpupillary distance, and Segment Height. Both measurements in millimeters.

We can use wrap, panto, and vertex measurements that I have on file for average Juliet!

I
Also, I will need your P.D. interpupillary distance, and Segment Height. Both measurements in millimeters.

We can use wrap, panto, and vertex measurements that I have on file for average Juliet!
I got my P.D.
Seems like Segment Height will need some thought. Got Juliet now and considering wearing them with contacts and trying to buy something bigger for progressives instead, maybe Romeo or X-Squared...

Back