• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

History of Iridium lenses?

FrogSkinny

Oakley Beginner
Remember in the late 80's when Oakley first introduced Iridium lenses? There was no choice in color. Iridium was only offered in a single orange-ish color. They just called those lenses "Iridium." Is that what they call "Fire" Iridium today?

Here you can see Greg Lemond wearing the original Iridium lenses back in 1989 or 1990 when they were only offered in one color.

ae300890b0f7465f04c29be7c4837eca.jpg

Then here is another ad shortly after they introduced the original "Mumbo" glasses that eventually became the "M-Frames" later. I think this was when they introduced the second iridium color that was a purpley blue-ish color. Anybody know what color those lenses are called today?

oakley-history-91-768x506.jpg

I had a pair of Mumbos with those lenses. I want to say they called it "Ice" Iridium, however I think the orange Iridium lenses were just known as "regular" Iridium lenses at the time. Does anybody know? I realize this was 30 years ago so only the real old school people might remember.

I had a pair of Mumbos with those lenses. I want to say they called it "Ice" Iridium, however I think the orange Iridium lenses were just known as "regular" Iridium lenses at the time. Does anybody know? I realize this was 30 years ago so only the real old school people might remember.

I think they were called "orange iridium "

So did they just change the name from Orange to Fire?

Or is Fire different from the original Orange Iridium?

Back