• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Holbrook XL with Prizm Sapphire Polarized Lenses

h7500p

Oakley Beginner
Dear all,

my name is Rudy, I am from Germany and new to this forum as I got brand new Oakley Holbrook XL sunglasses ( Prizm Sapphire Polarized ) with Prizm Polarized lenses and not sure if the lenses are as they should be.

I usually use polarized lenses while being at the see or driving with the car because I feel it more comfortable for my eyes. This is the reason why I bought the Holbrook XL with the polarized Prizm lenses. However I am little bit confused about the lenses and the filter of the lenses while looking through the lower part of the lenses, the middle part and the upper part of the lenses.

The middle part of the lenses looks perfect and the colors are vivid and brillant and I really love it. However, when I am just turning my eyes down (e.g. for reading) I notice a different part of the lense or a weaker filter as it is in the middle part of the lenses when looking straight forward. The same appears when I am looking through the upper part of the lenses. It looks like the brilant and vivid colors are only available when looking straight through the lenses. The colors in the lower and upper part are more lighter and look more washed out than in the mittle part. I hope you can understand what I mean.

Is this just the polarized Prizm lenses? Do I have a defective pair of sunglasses? Are Prizm polarized glasses the wrong glasses for me

I hope you can help me with my question.

Many thanks

first of all great choice! i love the sapphire.

It sounds like the lenses might be faulty. i bought a pair of tour de France radar EVs and had the same problem. the issue isn't necessarily the Prizm or the polarized. each pair of lenses are cut out from a big sheet and this sometimes leads to having a bad batch of lenses.

mt recommendation is trying to talk to the vendor and see if the have a spare pair that you can look through to try and diagnose the issue. If there id an issue Oakley tends to be pretty reliable if you catch the issue soon enough.

Dear all,

my name is Rudy, I am from Germany and new to this forum as I got brand new Oakley Holbrook XL sunglasses ( Prizm Sapphire Polarized ) with Prizm Polarized lenses and not sure if the lenses are as they should be.

I usually use polarized lenses while being at the see or driving with the car because I feel it more comfortable for my eyes. This is the reason why I bought the Holbrook XL with the polarized Prizm lenses. However I am little bit confused about the lenses and the filter of the lenses while looking through the lower part of the lenses, the middle part and the upper part of the lenses.

The middle part of the lenses looks perfect and the colors are vivid and brillant and I really love it. However, when I am just turning my eyes down (e.g. for reading) I notice a different part of the lense or a weaker filter as it is in the middle part of the lenses when looking straight forward. The same appears when I am looking through the upper part of the lenses. It looks like the brilant and vivid colors are only available when looking straight through the lenses. The colors in the lower and upper part are more lighter and look more washed out than in the mittle part. I hope you can understand what I mean.

Is this just the polarized Prizm lenses? Do I have a defective pair of sunglasses? Are Prizm polarized glasses the wrong glasses for me

Many thanks
Welcome

Thx for the welcome :)

I already did order another pair of sunglasses and have realized the same issue. Probably I should change the dealer just to make sure, that he is not getting defective or refurbished stuff.

Any other ideas why it looks like that?

Thx for the welcome :)

I already did order another pair of sunglasses and have realized the same issue. Probably I should change the dealer just to make sure, that he is not getting defective or refurbished stuff.

Any other ideas why it looks like that?

It is pretty common to see this with various Sapphire lenses, Prizm or non-Prizm. They are known to have a bit of a “two-tone” base tint. This is due to the shift in the color of the Iridium from the center of the lens towards the outer edges. This color shift affects the way the base tint is perceived when looking through the lens. Here is an example of some Sapphire Flak lenses. Is this what you are seeing?

4CF4FA88-9E91-41DF-AD7E-4F34A5F1F0A2.jpeg

It looks like this you describe. However Imdo not see it on the left and right side but at the upper and lower area of the lense.

So this is then normal for the Prizm lenses in combination with the polarized lenses? No defect?

How can I reconstruct this picture? Holding the lenses to bright white light?

It looks like this you describe. However Imdo not see it on the left and right side but at the upper and lower area of the lense.

So this is then normal for the Prizm lenses in combination with the polarized lenses? No defect?

How can I reconstruct this picture? Holding the lenses to bright white light?
Hard to say for sure without some pics. Yeah just hold them up looking at a light source of some kind. That’s a fluorescent light, but LED also works well. I usually crop the pic to show just the lens also.

Hope everybody is doing well.

As I used my Holbrook Prizm Sapphire Polarized more often the last weeks at the beach and I am still confused about the areas at the top and bottom of the lenses where I can not see the Prizm technolgy anymore I tried to make some pictures of the lenses in front of a white light.

The pictures show these areas with a less ruby but more brown/yellow color at the top and the bottom of the lenses.

What do you think? Is it normal für the Holbrook Prizm Sapphire Polrazied lens?

IMG_4368.JPEG

IMG_4370.JPEG

IMG_4371.JPEG

IMG_4372.JPEG

IMG_4373.JPEG

IMG_4374.JPEG

Dear all,

Many thanks
Welcome:):) This is a phenomenon with all Sapphire lenses whether or not they are polarized or non-polarized.

Back