• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Holbrooks

Holbrooks > Frogskins

On a nostalgic level the Frogskins are definitely the winner but on an everyday, wear them out of the house pair the Holbrook definitely takes the cake. The Frogskins are an old design, from the small base curve to the way they fit on your face. The Holbrook is the Frogskin for the new generation with superior fit and coverage.

And rest assured, more cool colorways will come out for these and when it does that's when the Holbrook will start to take over.

You're alright man. Where is the like button? :)

The Holbrook will likely never reach the collectibility or popularity of the Frogskin simply because a) the same appeal is not there and b) it does not seem to be as universally good fitting as the Frogskins are. They will however do well for themselves in its own right but collectibility on them will not explode.

You're definitely right. But how could there be nostalgia value to holbrooks when they've been out for what...a year and a half? This is just the beginning. The FMJ Gold is a great start as a holbrook collectible. Actually shoot the STPL is even a fine piece of art, especially in person. I don't think holbrooks will ever be as big as frogskins, but they are a good alternative. They are also going to be a more successful "evolution" to the frogskins versus the jupiter. I foresee more limited releases of holbrooks being released.
i hope you didnt take my post as belittling the holbrook. i like them myself and own a few pairs but i dont see any support for them other than the shaun white series. just look at the custom options, the lens selection sucks. its the same as the prebuilds. the only new lens out was the emerald on the moto gp. i noticed that they discontinued the matte rootbeer w/ bronze polarized as well

i hope you didnt take my post as belittling the holbrook. i like them myself and own a few pairs but i dont see any support for them other than the shaun white series. just look at the custom options, the lens selection sucks. its the same as the prebuilds. the only new lens out was the emerald on the moto gp. i noticed that they discontinued the matte rootbeer w/ bronze polarized as well

Oh no not at all, I didn't think you were belittling them :). I agree though they need to get crazier with the lens selections and color combinations.

Holbrooks > Frogskins
The Holbrook is the Frogskin for the new generation with superior fit and coverage.

And rest assured, more cool colorways will come out for these and when it does that's when the Holbrook will start to take over.

I'm not sure if this will be the case. What are the sunglasses most worn these days? Aviators, Wayfarers, and Clubmasters, frame styles that have been around for over 40 years and yet the kids or 'new generation' (i.e. those aged from 18 - 24) are still wearing them. Robert Pattinson, Paris Hilton, Bruno Mars, Hilary Duff etc aren't photographed without having one of those styles on, and all the kids follow suit. I can't think of any who have that kind of influence rocking Holbrooks, or likely to rock Holbrooks.

I'm not sure if this will be the case. What are the sunglasses most worn these days? Aviators, Wayfarers, and Clubmasters, frame styles that have been around for over 40 years and yet the kids or 'new generation' (i.e. those aged from 18 - 24) are still wearing them. Robert Pattinson, Paris Hilton, Bruno Mars, Hilary Duff etc aren't photographed without having one of those styles on, and all the kids follow suit. I can't think of any who have that kind of influence rocking Holbrooks, or likely to rock Holbrooks.
thats because those kind of celebrities dont wear oakley at all. the ones who wear oakley are athletes who arent in what most people consider mainstream sports.

It took Frogskins damn near 20 years to reach the level of collectibility they have today. Itll do the same for Holbrooks. But they will reach that point one day. If you told a guy in 1985 his pair of $50 Frogskins would be worth hundreds of dollars in 2010, he probably would have laughed in your face. Frogskins will eventually fade out in the public eye, and only collectors will remember them. Holbrooks will have their golden era, then they too will soon fade away.

Are you kidding me? Every new Frogskin (with the exception of special editions) have come with a grey lens. The only way you can get special lens colors for Frogskins is either aftermarket or used. The lens selection is way better on the Holbrook.

agreed, the last couple of series have been grey, but holbrooks only have 9 lense to choose from

Back