• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Holy Grail?!?!?

RicHockney

Oakley Expert
Hi all,

I've just been doing some research into my next X-Metal purchase and something occurred to me: What would you all consider to be the Holy Grail of Oakley collections? I know the ultimate dream would be to have one of everything, in every colour, brand new in, in a new box etc but that's completely unfeasible. For 99% of us who can't spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds/dollars on 10's or hundreds of pairs of glasses we have to have a goal.... would you rather 1 of have every X-Metal in the range in a certain colour/frame combo or just go for all the Juliets, or all the XX's etc etc..... Would you rather have a full collection in average condition or half of it pristine? Just some food for thought..... let me know below. Cheers everyone.

Hi all,

I've just been doing some research into my next X-Metal purchase and something occurred to me: What would you all consider to be the Holy Grail of Oakley collections? I know the ultimate dream would be to have one of everything, in every colour, brand new in, in a new box etc but that's completely unfeasible. For 99% of us who can't spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds/dollars on 10's or hundreds of pairs of glasses we have to have a goal.... would you rather 1 of have every X-Metal in the range in a certain colour/frame combo or just go for all the Juliets, or all the XX's etc etc..... Would you rather have a full collection in average condition or half of it pristine? Just some food for thought..... let me know below. Cheers everyone.

R1 2-digit serial with the large vault..

@pjd1234

Are we classifying a grail as a piece you want really badly or one that you want really bad and also really hard to obtain?

Everyone has a different idea of what a "holy grail" is.

Most would accept that the Romeo 1 is the model type to get if you are just looking to get ordinary publicly released X-metals. Of these, the low numbered R1s which came with the extra large/oversized vault is the most valued and sought after. There are also Sydney Olympic athlete only variants which are also hard to find.

But while Juliets are more popular (in terms of overall use and numbers), there are some grails in the non-Romeo 1 range like the Juliet Ichiro (Japanese issued), brown Juliets, 24k Juliet (not REAL gold), the more numerous X serial numbered Juliets (with deep ruby lenses from the original X-man film), the elusive factory OEM blue and purple Juliets (only 1-3 examples of each released escaped into the wild) etc. In the other X-metal range, there are Mars Jordans, copper pennys and other rare stuff like Ichiro R2 and Scelzi R2 and the Brian Takumi Madman (2 auctioned).

The Madman RAW, I believe is undervalued. I think in years to come, it will become quite desirable even if the price doesn't increase too much. My reasoning is because they were poorly made and the hinges have a tendency to break, which reduces the number in circulation. Also, although they attract a lot of ridicule, any true X-metal collector will need to have this in their collection for the sake of completeness.

If your dream is to obtain 1 of every X-metal, it will be almost impossible, because there is only 1 blue Juliet OEM and 3 purple Juliets in existence with a trackable history, and both of these colours are owned by @Dyeraudio. I'm nearly 100% sure he will not be giving them up anytime soon.

I've also seen photos of a factory blue prototype penny which is rather hard to come by as well!!!!

Last edited:

Most would accept that the Romeo 1 is the model type to get if you are just looking to get ordinary publicly released X-metals. Of these, the low numbered R1s which came with the extra large/oversized vault is the most valued and sought after. There are also Sydney Olympic athlete only variants which are also hard to find.

But while Juliets are more popular (in terms of overall use and numbers), there are some grails in the non-Romeo 1 range like the Juliet Ichiro (Japanese issued), brown Juliets, 24k Juliet (not REAL gold), the more numerous X serial numbered Juliets (with deep ruby lenses from the original X-man film), the elusive factory OEM blue and purple Juliets (only 1-3 examples of each released world wide) etc. In the other X-metal range, there are Mars Jordans, copper pennys and other rare stuff like Ichiro R2 and Scelzi R2 and the Brian Takumi Madman (2 auctioned).

The Madman RAW, I believe is undervalued. I think in years to come, it will become quite desirable even if the price doesn't increase too much. My reasoning is because they were poorly made and the hinges have a tendency to break, which reduces the number in circulation. Also, although they attract a lot of ridicule, any true X-metal collector will need to have this in their collection for the sake of completeness.

If your dream is to obtain 1 of every X-metal, it will be almost impossible, because there is only 1 blue Juliet OEM and 3 purple Juliets in existence with a trackable history, and both of these colours are owned by @Dyeraudio. I'm nearly 100% sure he will not be giving them up anytime soon.

I've also seen photos of a factory blue prototype penny which is rather hard to come by as well!!!!

Do i smell another list coming on?

But while Juliets are more popular (in terms of overall use and numbers), there are some grails in the non-Romeo 1 range like the Juliet Ichiro (Japanese issued), brown Juliets, 24k Juliet (not REAL gold), the more numerous X serial numbered Juliets (with deep ruby lenses from the original X-man film), the elusive factory OEM blue and purple Juliets (only 1-3 examples of each released world wide) etc. In the other X-metal range, there are Mars Jordans, copper pennys and other rare stuff like Ichiro R2 and Scelzi R2 and the Brian Takumi Madman (2 auctioned).

How about a couple pictures of those Julie's @Dyeraudio!

I believe there is a thread that covers this fairly in deepth, the whole grail thing, no?

Thank you, I have read many of these types of posts on here. Very informative, very knowledgeable O peeps.
It's been my guide for sure.

Back