• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Home Theater Help Needed

Depends in what you got and how long you plan in keeping it...

If you're a techie and have HDTV, blu ray: look for multi hdmi in...
If you plan on upgrading to UHD (4K picture) then look into one with 4 processing
If you have a home theatre then look for one with the DTS-Master 7.1
If you have it simpler and are looking for a sound bar get one with ARC (audio channel return)
Look for an receiver with low harmonic distortion
The heavier the receiver the better (usually)

Popular brands are Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha (some), Marantz (higher end but very worth it), Harman Kardon

You can always go real high end and get separates, which means the AMP and Processors are two different 'boxes' ... It's almost always high end and high
Performance...

Unless you really need it, I wouldn't pay for anything that's certified 'THX', you'll pay a lot extra for something that passed a battery of tests where other amps will pass the same tests but cost less...

i am a fan of separate components too. but just like oakleys, i recommend research, research, research, then pay for the best you can afford instead of playing the upgrade game. your wallet will thank you. most will buy a HTIB system, upgrade one or two peices, then buy a more powerful amp, better sub, two subs, etc. without realiZing they already spent twice the original budget.

And dont forget, your amps or speakers will definitely not appreciate or maintain value. so spend once and be done.

i know this may end up out of your budget (though it probably will, i'm a big fan of emotiva.com stuff... affordable but great gear!), but have you considered getting a separate amp and receiver?

that separate amp will def get you the best bang out any speaker setup you have.

Last edited:
I run emotiva seperate amp with a kick a$$ Denon Avr and love the setup however its out of the OP budget

What would be an ideal range I need to be in? I really like my music loud and want to be happy with what I end up with. If I need to add some extra cash into the pot for that, I might be able to. My Bday is coming up in 2 weeks and might get some assistance from the family.

I was big into it a while back. The denon was great. Im onto Onkyo now mostly for the jammed packed features on a budget. Dont really rock out anymore other than Nick TV and the news.
I actually Sold HiFi for years back in the 90s.
I can say that electronics will come and go, but speakers can be for a lifetime. Spend the money on a set you like.
Im still rocking my Sunfire/Martin Logan speakers after 16 years, although all my electronics have been replaced many times.

Back