• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

'Horsetraded' Half Jacket restoration/customization.......

freddaddy

Oakley Beginner
NC
OK, maybe not restoration like some you guys would think of it, but I'm pretty stoked about it!!!

Got these Half Jacket frames a couple of months ago from a buddy at work, for what exactly escapes me, but probably less than $5 in trade goods, pocket knife or some kind of junk I had laying around in the truck.
5a9aryma.jpg

u6a7uqa2.jpg

No lenses, no rubber, just bare frames and honestly, I wasn't exactly sure which frames they were, but I saw potential, so I started reading the DIY sub forum and decided I liked a matte finish over the glossy finish that was already on the frames, so I stripped the paint off by boiling the frames and then started sanding with 800 & 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper to even out the finish.
Next I starts to look for some VL Polarized lenses on 'Fleabay' and won an auction for the blue mirrors and then got som rubber coming, but being the impatient type, I went to the local Lowes Home Improvement store and found some #60 & #47 Dansko o-rings and started filling in the ear stems with o-rings.
Hereis the finished project....at least until I get another wild hair!!!! ;)>

yta4apu4.jpg

sebumuby.jpg

When I sanded the frames the icons were slightly different tones, so I sanded them too, and got a killer antiqued copper tone out of them!!! ;)>
a2e5yseb.jpg

And finally with 'me on my fat noggin!!!!
5a8uqysa.jpg

So whadya think, pretty good for a newb??
Thanks for looking, and looking forward to your feedback!
J.

I'd used 'em in the past for a variety of other hobbies, as well as other, non-Oakley sunglasses to make 'em fit better.
I'll still probably use the factory rubber whenever they get here, but I still like the look! ;)>
J.

Back