• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How are you displaying your 40th Anniversary book?

Okay, finished my book display.

First, I bought this stand from amazon, seemed like the only one big enough and sturdy enough. Reasonably priced.

View attachment 118372
When it arrived, I bent it up a little bit, bending back the top to get larger surface contact (instead of a single point at the tip) and the legs out slightly to fine-tune the tilt:

View attachment 118373

View attachment 118374

View attachment 118375

I wanted to display it sitting on top of the outer box, but it's so dang heavy it'd damage it. So I cut a couple of pieces of 1/4" HDF (not MDF) to the shape of the box, sanded the edges a bit:

View attachment 118376

Then I sandwiched the box between those two sheets, distributing the weight / contact points across the entire box, top and bottom. The finished result:

View attachment 118377

View attachment 118378

View attachment 118379

I rattled around the case a bit and it was solid, sturdy. But it's a good thing I have 9' high ceilings... :D

And, for some reason, I have that music from "2001" in my head...

Baah... Baah... Baaaaaah...... Bah Dah!! (Dum Dum, Dum Dum, Dum Dum, Dum Dum)... :hi:

I wanted to do something that simple, problem was the metal left dents in the cover. Luckily they came out after being removed. I caution you on leaving it in there too long...

I wanted to do something that simple, problem was the metal left dents in the cover. Luckily they came out after being removed. I caution you on leaving it in there too long...

Thanks - yeah, I was wondering about that, was thinking of cutting another strip of leftover HDF and routing a groove through it for the bottom edge to rest on...

Thanks - yeah, I was wondering about that, was thinking of cutting another strip of leftover HDF and routing a groove through it for the bottom edge to rest on...

That just may solve the problem. Also put something on the back portion so when the book leans back it doesn't leave an imprint on there either.

Well I thought about this stuff during the original design, that contact points could leave marks. It's why I bent the back piece in the first place. And I thought about cutting another piece of HDF for the back, but how much is enough? A bigger piece just = a bigger impression; you'd really need to cut a piece the entire size of the back. Add that to the grooved strip along the bottom, and you've basically created half a HDF shell to protect the book.

Alternatively, I though about padding the contact points, with the same sort of stuff like what replacement lenses come in, or something even denser. Wrap the bars, wrap the back piece. That could be enough.

But the back piece is fairly well spread-out-contact-point already, and the bottom legs have a flat contact point. Both of those other options might have aesthetic impact, and would definitely require readjustment of the stand's fitting.

So I decided I'd try it as-is for a little while, see what happens, and then make adjustments from there. I just didn't explain all those thoughts originally; I tend to write too long posts anyway... ;)

But I planned on posting any changes I made in case anybody was trying something similar.

And I didn't mean this thread to be all about my book display; I was hoping more people would post theirs. Hint, hint... :D

Okay, finished my book display.

First, I bought this stand from amazon, seemed like the only one big enough and sturdy enough. Reasonably priced.

View attachment 118372
When it arrived, I bent it up a little bit, bending back the top to get larger surface contact (instead of a single point at the tip) and the legs out slightly to fine-tune the tilt:

View attachment 118373

View attachment 118374

View attachment 118375

I wanted to display it sitting on top of the outer box, but it's so dang heavy it'd damage it. So I cut a couple of pieces of 1/4" HDF (not MDF) to the shape of the box, sanded the edges a bit:

View attachment 118376

Then I sandwiched the box between those two sheets, distributing the weight / contact points across the entire box, top and bottom. The finished result:

View attachment 118377

View attachment 118378

View attachment 118379

I rattled around the case a bit and it was solid, sturdy. But it's a good thing I have 9' high ceilings... :D

And, for some reason, I have that music from "2001" in my head...

Baah... Baah... Baaaaaah...... Bah Dah!! (Dum Dum, Dum Dum, Dum Dum, Dum Dum)... :hi:
Simple enough lol.....its a big book it will look silly inside.the case imo..

Back