• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Can I Tell A Ti Juliet From An X Metal Juliet

thatoakleyguy

Oakley Expert
VA
Got a CL find that I'd like to get. He says they're Ti but they look exactly like my x metals I currently own.

Any insight on how to tell?
Also what are they worth either way?

Ask him if there's a serial #; the leading characters can be used to determine the colorway, using o-review serial list.

Seems like lots of people on the 'bay and CL mislabel finishes...

Value depends on condition and completeness.

Pretty confident that is xmetal. Looks like xmetal from the pic and I haven't seen a Titanium Juliet that did not have a serial number that started with a T.

X-metal. They only did Ti from 1999 - 2003 (according to o-review). That marking is not a serial number but a frame size (there should also be a model number somewhere to the left) which means they're 5th gen, which is post-2008.

If you were to get the model number to the left of what's shown in the pic, we could see exactly what the original colorway was. Doesn't matter, though - I think there's enough info to conclude that they're x-metal.

Last edited:
Some people are aware that the major component of x metals is titanium but we collectors are aware of a distinction in finishes rather than composition. I agree with his description of Ti as a layman much as they are x metal.
What are they worth? Are they complete, original box, nice lenses, etc?

+1 on CarGuy's post - good point. Since x-metals are a Ti alloy, a layman may often describe them as Ti, talking about the material, not the finish. And the fact that x-metal is both the product line brand and a specific finish within the product line continues to confuse people...

But a few months ago I bought a pair off the 'bay that were advertised as unserialed (thus 4th gen) plasma but, when I got them, turned out to be 1st gen Ti with a faded serial (you could still see a ghost of it from the proper angle; thanks to @BriP for the help to figure it out). And this guy was a "collector", claimed to be the original owner... Seriously?!? I think I came out ahead on that one...

IMHO if we assume frame, lenses, and nosebridge are around 8/10 and there's no box/coin/paperwork, I'd guess $300 - $350 for a reasonably-priced auction on the 'bay; $250 - $300 for the forum exchange. But there's plenty around here who could speak prices with more authority.

If you were to get the model number to the left of what's shown in the pic, we could see exactly what the original colorway was. Doesn't matter, though - I think there's enough info to conclude that they're x-metal.

Probably a custom frame as there looks to be enough of the arm in shot that we would see the SKU as well as size if it was there?

Definitely x-metal though.

Probably a custom frame as there looks to be enough of the arm in shot that we would see the SKU as well as size if it was there?
Definitely x-metal though.

Yeah, you're right - I was wondering about that, too; after your comment I checked out my pair of 5th gens and the model number was close enough that it should have been in that pic...

Custom, or maybe fake? The earstem screw and other misc stuff in that pic looks legit, but there's no pics for the other fake tells (orbital break, nosebridge rivets/screws, earstems ends, etc)...

@thatoakleyguy, if you d!ck around too much with a CL listing you may miss out. If you're still interested in this pair, I suggest you bone up on how to spot fakes, check them out firsthand, then buy or not...

Here's a good thread about spotting fakes:
Oakley X-Metal Authenticity Checklist | Oakley Forum

Back