• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How do I say it, The quality just doesn't seem there.

keptman

Oakley Expert
Noneyah
I have been looking at getting something in the line of new. What I mean is the newer styles that are out from the last couple of years. I haven't bought anything unless it's been in the wire family. That being said I own some older straight jackets and have had some Mframes through out the years even a pair of Blade II fours at one time(Damn animal). I have been kinda disapionted with the feel of the newer styles. The plasticky feel that is like some of the cheaper pairs I've owned in the past for junk work. I don't know if this is Oakleys way of solving the breaking issue with some of the older models. Or if it has to do with weight. Is the stress-resistant O MATTER® frame material the reason for this.

Some of what I have looked at for instance the XXtwenty, Batwolf, even the flack jackets. They just don't seem to have the quality feel that I remember in some of the pairs that I have used or just tried. Part of what I mean is the flex when wearing they felt kinda janky. Before someone starts screaming No JANKY No JANKY don't get me wrong I'm not trying to knock some of the styles or anyones taste. I just don't feel that Oakley has stayed up to the plate as they once we're.
Is there some info on the newer frames that I could reference.

I was thinking of getting a pair of Radar's but they just seem to floppy for shooting purposes. The quality isn't there from the couple of pairs that I've looked at, even the new lock styles. I would like to know from anyone that has been wearing Newer XXTwenty, Pitbull, Batwolf, Fives squared. How do they hold up? How long have you had them? I really like the Violet Iridium lense in the Batwolf it reminds me of the 00Blue Iridium. I might have to get a new infinite juliet just to get some.

thanks Christian

The O-Matter formula has changed in recent years, it's lighter and stronger than before to help prevent cracking.

But as far as what you think, go compare Oakley's to some other "top brands" and see how you feel then. And I disagree on your comment about Radars being floppy, maybe you tried on a display pair that was worn out.

I don't find any of my frames floppy. Regarding the Pit Bull I find the build quality on these is as good as other models, has a positive feel when the stems are lock open & secure on the head, they never move or give the feeling that they will. The new XXtwenty is like the little brother of the Pit Bull & although i've only tried on some again I like the feel of them. As regard the five squares I've had these for 18 months & I have to say although I love them the build does feel less (I wouldn't say cheeper as they are a totally different type of glass). The reason for this is only down to the stems in the fact that they feel a little flimsy to the point that I had to go back to the assistant in store to make sure they were ok.

Love the new Twenty but there's nothing "cheap" to me about Flaks...maybe best pairs I own with Twenty and SJ2....fives always seemed loose and flimsy to me since 2.0

The O-Matter formula has changed in recent years, it's lighter and stronger than before to help prevent cracking.

But as far as what you think, go compare Oakley's to some other "top brands" and see how you feel then. And I disagree on your comment about Radars being floppy, maybe you tried on a display pair that was worn out.

He could have tried on an asian fit pair too, they will definitely fit much looser than the standard version. But I agree with Batwolf, they all do seem to be much stronger than the older versions like the original eye jackets and minutes where the earstem would just break if you grabbed them wrong. That will not happen with the new ones.

He could have tried on an asian fit pair too, they will definitely fit much looser than the standard version. But I agree with Batwolf, they all do seem to be much stronger than the older versions like the original eye jackets and minutes where the earstem would just break if you grabbed them wrong. That will not happen with the new ones.

I Have never really liked some of the other top Brands. Most just don't compare. The biggest thing had been that when you hold the glasses and put them on. You feel them flex and hear the creak of the frame and lens this is the Radar and Flac Jacket. I mean My older M frames never did this. Batwolf you say that it could be from display models. I have checked around with mutiple locations looking at styles and colors. Most of them are the same. If a display model gets that loose after a while wouldn't that mean that when wearing them everyday would do the samething.

doowutchyalike I got a big head so I don't think an asain pair is going on this melon. And yes the strength is one of the things I meant. If the feel of the material is what has been designed for a lighter more flexible frame that works. The big thing that I was wanting to know was how are they holding up comparatively to the older generations.

I don't find any of my frames floppy. Regarding the Pit Bull I find the build quality on these is as good as other models, has a positive feel when the stems are lock open & secure on the head, they never move or give the feeling that they will. The new XXtwenty is like the little brother of the Pit Bull & although i've only tried on some again I like the feel of them. As regard the five squares I've had these for 18 months & I have to say although I love them the build does feel less (I wouldn't say cheeper as they are a totally different type of glass). The reason for this is only down to the stems in the fact that they feel a little flimsy to the point that I had to go back to the assistant in store to make sure they were ok.
I tried on the XXtwenty's I'm just wondering if you know how much bigger are the pit bull's? Is it like the whisker to square whisker.

My Ducati Five Squareds feel fine... Not too much flex in the stems and the hinges have stayed tight.
I am a huge fan of Gascans and Fuel Cells too... They are much beefier than the Fives.

After a recent Flak purchase I was really suprised... I love Flaks with a set of XLJ lenses!

If the new O-Matter is bothering you so much, why not try something in the X-Metal line?
My Juliets have taken a beating and they have held up just fine!

Back