• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How do you rate Lens Condition? (work in progress)

Can lens condition be rated objectively?

• Yes

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
Let’s say - only assumed brand new ‘mint’ lenses are perfect.

And assume any used lens is not perfect. Even if seller or customer says so.

Of course - we’ve all had brand new mint lenses that are not perfect.

Then of course - there’s ‘suggestion’ into the equation too!

You really respect and know the person who says these lenses are mint. So you see mint lenses. If the person somehow looses your respect and admiration - then strangely you may see scratches or marks.

DD523AC3-58C3-4E04-B388-AF375B4144E9.png

Just in the same way this picture ‘suggests’ a shade that is t really there at all…. 😋😜😀

I fully agree.
Most pictures of lenses in front of a light source are useless and do not show the condition at all.
Also a tutorial would be nice how to take pictures to show lens condition.
This one was helpful to me back in the day. Also turning on the focus lock on the camera to actually focus on the lens instead of the background works pretty well for me.

This one was helpful to me back in the day. Also turning on the focus lock on the camera to actually focus on the lens instead of the background works pretty well for me.

Adding link to OP. Thanks. I’d forgotten about this one.

Updated
A rating without pictures of actual lens is not helpful either. Here’s a great guide by @saulsaul which shows how to take good lens pics - Lens condition pics (thanks @Oak Heel for the heads up