• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Do You Take Your Plastic Displays Apart?

I think the nubs newer style are more desirable, makes it a little harder to slide off to the side.

How do u disassemble? I don't want to break them. Trying to switch the few odd nubs to smaller stands and make triples with the ones with the nubbs. Need a plastic wedge or prying tool?

How do u disassemble? I don't want to break them. Trying to switch the few odd nubs to smaller stands and make triples with the ones with the nubbs. Need a plastic wedge or prying tool?
You just pull the individual sunglasses rests out from the front by hand. Sometimes they are tight so a little bit of wiggling while pulling will do the trick. The vertical piece can be pulled out of the stand base as well.

I think the nubs newer style are more desirable, makes it a little harder to slide off to the side.
Yes. But people have found that the new clear stands are shaped differently and in some cases (especially with Pit bosses and X-metals), the lens actually contacts with the stand. Some people have reported even scratching their lenses inadvertently.

The disadvantage with them is that they take up a larger footprint as well, if you have it more than 1 tier high.

These are the two main reasons that a lot of us now prefer the older black stands.

Yes. But people have found that the new clear stands are shaped differently and in some cases (especially with Pit bosses and X-metals), the lens actually contacts with the stand. Some people have reported even scratching their lenses inadvertently.

The disadvantage with them is that they take up a larger footprint as well, if you have it more than 1 tier high.

These are the two main reasons that a lot of us now prefer the older black stands.
I like the newer black stands myself. Same foot print and 4 tier.

IMG_6965.JPG

But I do agree that the clear ones will scratch your lenses. Every pair I've seen on display in a store on those has a cluster of scratches on the inside of the lens right where it sits on it.

Back