• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How does eBay local pick up work?

Frogskins

I am Jim Jannard...
New Jersey
When you buy an item on eBay and it has local pick up as the "delivery option," how is delivery confirmed, since there is no tracking number per se?

In other words, after I pay for the item and the seller gets back to me with a time and place, how is eBay notified that the item was picked up? Does the buyer confirm this or does the seller do this?

What's to stop a dishonest buyer from picking up an item, and then claiming he/she did not pick it up, and then filing a claim for a refund?

i once made this (seller was in Greece of course) and the seller marked the item as paid and shipped in front of me.I then left positive feedback in front of him also.Ebay does not care if he sees that shipment and feedback left is at almost the same time as long as everything goes well

i once made this (seller was in Greece of course) and the seller marked the item as paid and shipped in front of me.I then left positive feedback in front of him also.Ebay does not care if he sees that shipment and feedback left is at almost the same time as long as everything goes well
Thanks for the info

Thought I would revive this thread since now I'm considering selling something on eBay with local pick up as the only delivery option.

Have any of you ever sold anything on eBay using local pick up?

Did the buyer pay in advance of pick up?

How did you confirm to eBay that the item was actually picked up?

Any problems?

Thanks ...

Some good info here (read through the comments) including asking buyer to sign a receipt.

Local Pickup Now Available with All Shipping Options - ebay01
Thanks, this is somewhat helpful.

Somewhat because many sellers posted similar questions as mine, yet eBay did not reply.

Sign a receipt? Gee I could see that scenario going sour fairly quickly - prove to eBay that this is actually the buyer's signature ...

I'm selling a tabletop display; will probably post on the forum and list as "cash n carry only."

Thanks for the info - appreciate the reply ...

Thanks, this is somewhat helpful.

Somewhat because many sellers posted similar questions as mine, yet eBay did not reply.

Sign a receipt? Gee I could see that scenario going sour fairly quickly - prove to eBay that this is actually the buyer's signature ...

I'm selling a tabletop display; will probably post on the forum and list as "cash n carry only."

Thanks for the info - appreciate the reply ...

Maybe a follow up email to buyer via the ebay message system with pics of the receipt.

Can't account for every little scenario that can happen but hopefully some of the above helped.

This isn’t exactly the same but may help.

My wife sells a lot of hand made and 3d printed stuff locally and she had the same question about PayPal. PayPal told her that if there is no tracking number then the delivery can not be confirmed and any opened cases would likely be decided in the favor of the buyer.

She specifically asked them about security cameras. What if we have them on the camera receiving the item? PayPal said they won’t even consider that because they can’t prove or disprove who that is on camera.

So while this had no eBay sale, it would relate to you because the buyer could do the same thing. Even if eBay has a system in place for local pickup, PayPal does not.

In the end my wife set a strict F&F or cash only rule for local sales.

The only other way I could see it being safe for you is if you had a PayPal card reader and swiped the buyers credit card or PayPal debit card. That swipe should prove they were there in your presence.

once the seller gets the cash, cancel order so no fees are charged for the sale.

Latest Posts

Back