• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How does "SAMPLE" affect the value

Oakster

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Canada
Just curious what people's opinions of sample pairs is. If you had say a PB2 sample pair, what would that be worth in relation to a regular pair. Let's assume that the sample pair does NOT come with anything other than a microbag and also that it couldn't in my opinion ever be sold as "MINT" even if the condition appears to be perfect. They're samples because they are meant to be shown and tried on.

Apologies if there is a thread like this already on here.

Thanks

I think the value would have more to do with the fact it doesnt come complete vs. marked sample. Now a sample vintage frame in a weird colorway.. that might up the value a bit to a collector.

I would think it is decreasing the value a bit, but practically i see that people are willing to pay the same price for sample frames as for 'normal' frames

I would give more weight to the condition of the item than whether it said Sample. If condition/accessories were equal, I'd give equal value to Sample and "normal". Now, if it were a C-Six or IH Juliet sample or something like that, I could see that actually slightly increasing their value potentially.

Typically saying "Sample" doesn't really affect pricing for most collectors. In essence it's just a regular release shown to clients, and usually without the final packaging. You'd really have to be completely OCD to pay extra for the "sample" wording.

Complete and mint regular release > Uncomplete and used Sample

I find it to be attractive to get a sample pair never used as a sample NIB marked Sample. You only can get this if you are a reseller. Usually there not available to buy witch makes them rare. How many times can you say there are NIB never used samples available? In the last 2 years I have only found 1 seller with NIB Samples (Wiretap). So how many have all of you found. Now if it is a used sample pair used for store display the value is of corse diminished to worst than 1 owner only Because there has been many uncaring hand on it.

Most of the time oakley samples sell for cheaper on ebay... 50 percent less then retail. Usually cause they don't have box or case, also cause the person didn't pay retail for them or got them for free.

also cause the person didn't pay retail for them or got them for free.
Seller cost has no effect on market price / market price depends on buyers perspective / the old supply & demand is a factor (supply is limited on Samples NIB available to purchase ) Also as a reseller your contract agreement dose not allow you to sell Samples. So you risk your ability to be a reseller if you breach your contract by selling samples NIB / Yes there are sellers selling Samples after the popularity diminishes Without Box on eBay at 1/2 the price but they are used by many as a try on pair, so they are even less valuable than a 1 time owner used pair. I am only giving value to NIB Samples never used.

Back