• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How long do RX lenses last?

joe2k1

Oakley Beginner
Hi all, first time member. I had some Radar Path’s made around 2008. I’m noticing after cleaning them that the lens seems to be detoriating. Is this normal? I’m not sure if I can post pictures since I am a brand new user. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Joe2k1

I have a few pairs of RX Oakley's and whilst I could be mistaken the RX aspect shouldn't make a difference over "normal" lenses, but it is fair to say that after a few years all lenses can seem to deteriorate or laminate, is this what your experiencing ?

To be honest annoying (and expensive) as it is if those are from 2008 it may be worth having a new prescription done anyhow.

Hi Joe2k1

I have a few pairs of RX Oakley's and whilst I could be mistaken the RX aspect shouldn't make a difference over "normal" lenses, but it is fair to say that after a few years all lenses can seem to deteriorate or laminate, is this what your experiencing ?

To be honest annoying (and expensive) as it is if those are from 2008 it may be worth having a new prescription done anyhow.

Yes that is exactly how I would describe it. De-laminating or the foil wrapper coming loose (Between the 2 lenses) if that makes sense. I am curious what people think of Oakley’s RX lenses? Do you have any experience with them? Thanks again!

Edit: I’ve just been poking around looking to get replacement ear socks. Looks like they dont carry them anymore. Is that correct. These are Oakley Radar’s not Radar EV.

Last edited:
Yes that is exactly how I would describe it. De-laminating or the foil wrapper coming loose (Between the 2 lenses) if that makes sense. I am curious what people think of Oakley’s RX lenses? Do you have any experience with them? Thanks again!

Edit: I’ve just been poking around looking to get replacement ear socks. Looks like they dont carry them anymore. Is that correct. These are Oakley Radar’s not Radar EV.
Sorry I couldn't comment on Radar Ear socks as never tended to go for the full on sport shield glasses but from a general perspective I know Line gear have a back catalogue of various rubbers, I am sure another member may be able to help you with those or indeed their website.

From my experience of Oakley prescription or RX lenses I have found them (aside of lamination over time) to be excellent visually, often noticeably clearer than other companies, and with Prism tech now I find I wear my Dark Golf's out an about a lot more than ever before.

...Oh and just to say if you like the shield sport style I recommend seeing what can be done nowadays as from what I can see in the UK at least very few shield lenses are available RX and then simply Clear Grey or Black

Last edited:
Sorry I couldn't comment on Radar Ear socks as never tended to go for the full on sport shield glasses but from a general perspective I know Line gear have a back catalogue of various rubbers, I am sure another member may be able to help you with those or indeed their website.

From my experience of Oakley prescription or RX lenses I have found them (aside of lamination over time) to be excellent visually, often noticeably clearer than other companies, and with Prism tech now I find I wear my Dark Golf's out an about a lot more than ever before.

...Oh and just to say if you like the shield sport style I recommend seeing what can be done nowadays as from what I can see in the UK at least very few shield lenses are available RX and then simply Clear Grey or Black

Great. I found the line gear website (looks to be based in Japan?) but dont see any sign of radar replacement kits. I can try later on to see if I can attach some photos for you.

Great. I found the line gear website (looks to be based in Japan?) but dont see any sign of radar replacement kits. I can try later on to see if I can attach some photos for you.
look on ebay for replacement ear socks, several companies make replacement lenses, socks and nose pieces. And you could find an eBay set for sale, however depending on how old, they may have become sticky.

On the lens issue, while I've never had your particular issue, I've also never had 1 Rx for more than 5 years or more, at most. I've gotten Lasik so no Rx required, but my youngest son has 3 Radar EV Rx lenses, no issues and he's playing football and basketball with them

For the ear socks, Oakley stopped manufacturing them, so if they are not on Oakley.com you pretty much can't get them. Your best bet would be looking on the exchange portion of this website or just getting aftermarket socks. There are plenty out there

Many thanks for the replies. Sad to hear they dont make replacement ear socks anymore.
78907CFA-D642-45DF-9B03-BD180D21F074.jpeg
I just noticed my lens have water marks on them from my bike ride. Hopefully you can see the lamination issue properly.

Side note - I see Oakley has a new M Frame 3.0 PPE version. Again I don’t see a replacement gasket in the event it gets worn down.

CD031DAD-419E-4149-8FBF-FC312AFF7894.jpeg

854E16F0-8F40-434D-A0E3-2C81738CB4F4.jpeg

Parts for the PPE M frames are only sold on Oakley standard issue. As far as the glasses, your better off getting a whole new pair than just a new lense. Oakley is running 50 percent off lenses when you get a whole pair so it's about the same price. Should run ya somewhere around 350

Parts for the PPE M frames are only sold on Oakley standard issue. As far as the glasses, your better off getting a whole new pair than just a new lense. Oakley is running 50 percent off lenses when you get a whole pair so it's about the same price. Should run ya somewhere around 350

Thanks again those PPE are now on sale! Will post my thoughts as I would love to get some finding some decent eye sock replacements.

Back