• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How long do RX lenses last?

How long do they last? Well the obvious answer would be, as long as you take care of them.
The method of cleaning I've been using have resulted in pairs looking brand new with some of them reaching well into the 10+ years mark.
Mind you everyone is different. I have no shame in saying that I'm pretty maniacal and OCD when it comes to cleaning and maintaining my Oakleys. But as they say, "the proof is in the pudding"; if the way I've been cleaning and maintaining them makes them looks this way, something must be working.

How long do they last? Well the obvious answer would be, as long as you take care of them.
The method of cleaning I've been using have resulted in pairs looking brand new with some of them reaching well into the 10+ years mark.
Mind you everyone is different. I have no shame in saying that I'm pretty maniacal and OCD when it comes to cleaning and maintaining my Oakleys. But as they say, "the proof is in the pudding"; if the way I've been cleaning and maintaining them makes them looks this way, something must be working.
Can you share this method of cleaning?

Here’s the soap I currently use.
IMG_3293.jpg

Find something of the same if you can. I find that this one isn’t harsh at all on the lenses and I personally haven’t seen any sort of long term damage to them. Mind you, once I start cleaning my Oakley’s I usually wash the soap almost right away. DO NOT use anything that has moisturizing components in it, it won’t be fun to wash off after.
Again this is the method I use. I won’t be responsible if something goes wrong on your end. I’ll tell you step by step as to what I do, so follow it if you wish. Pardon the guerilla style photos, and I'll use my Badmans for today's lesson.

So these are the steps I use:

1) Wash your own hands! Lots of people forget how dirty your own hands can be. Also, remove rings because that could be problematic...
IMG_3294.jpg

2) Run your Oakley’s under lukewarm water. A good steady pressure should do it. This basically removed the really small parts, sand, dust, etc. Same reason I suppose why we soak our dishes first before we take the sponge to it.
IMG_3295.jpg

3) Use about a quarter size of soap in your hands, and lather them both up. Sorry I know it's bigger than a quarter, damn bottle got away from me! I basically use my fingertips as the “scrubbers”. Wash the lenses pretty good but really concentrate on the parts where there’s skin contact. If you have rubbers on the nosebombs and runners along the ear stems, then really make sure you get a decent amount of soap on that. Just “scrub” with your fingertips until you covered the entirety of the glasses.
IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

4) Start washing off the soap. But before you do, wash off the soap off your hands. Start washing off the soap and really concentrate where the lens sit on the frames. Notice all the soap bubbles in the blue circle? That's what you want to get rid of. Run water along the hinges, run water everywhere. Once you notice that there's no more bubbles from the soap, keep running the water just in case. Also, close the stems so that you "expose" the hinges and run water over that also. You basically want to wash the entire thing.

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

5) Now that all the soap is gone, I usually run the "squeak" test along the lenses. Again, make sure you hands are clean. Basically you want to just gently run your finger along the lens and you want to hear a "squeak". If it feels "oily" a little that means you may still have some soap on it. Just run it over water again. Once it's all clear of soap, you want to see how the water droplets kind of "sit" on the lens and throughout the entire frame. (yellow circles)

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

6) At this point you have a choice. You can either air dry it and then use a microfiber bag to wipe it clean, or you can take a microfiber bag and just pat-dry it. I personally use the latter and I avoid using any wiping motions. After that, I let them sit there and then you'll be good to go!

I hope that this helps!

Monkey

IMG_3308.jpg

Here’s the soap I currently use.
View attachment 869500
Find something of the same if you can. I find that this one isn’t harsh at all on the le

Extremely helpful. I just got my Oakley M Frame 3.0 PPE. They are so impressive! It seems like they might even provide some decent protection from projectiles. I am also in Canada so I recognize that as being available in a local drug store (Shoppers Drug Mart) so I will grab a bottle in the near future.

Back