• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Many Have A Style Switch & What Colourway. What Do You Think Of Them?

I believe (for now) the lenses are still being produced at FHR. This is why most eyewear boxes now state "Assembled in US" because the frames are imported from the Lux factory in China then fully assembled at HQ (FHR).

I have tweeted oakley with some of these questions and usually they respond fast, however when I ask about made in china they told me to wright a email to customer service which i did like 2 weeks ago, and never received a response. Like they trying to hide this information

Thanks for taking the picture of the box labels Bat! I was trying to do that myself, but haven't had a chance to hit my local Vault yet. I could have sworn the Style Switch box I saw had a made in China label...but maybe I was thinking of the TF or JC.

I have Style switch 009194-14, which is polished black frame, jade 'O' w/ jade iridium polerized and vr28 Black iridium. My preferred color way would of been matte black w/ black iridium polarized and maybe fire iridium. I like the fit better than my old gas cans which were a bit loose. But yes they do feel a bit flimsy compared to the gascans, my only other pair. Wasent keen to bend the arms to much to test O matter and worried they will brake falling of my head.
Any one know where I can get replacement lens for style switch in Australia without the near 100% mark up ($170) from nearest O store.I need BIP.

I have the Polished Black/Gold Ghost Text/Tungsten Iridium & Black Iridium and compared to my other Oakley Jawbone,Doggle,Split Jacket,Plate,Straight/Racing Jacket & my new only arrived yesterday Pit Boss they feel good yes the hinge may not be as good the tru bolt system but i can't see it been a problem i have mine 8 months now wear them quite regular and i am a truck drive so i ain't that gentle with them my only issue with them they don't suit me but they are comfortable around the nose with them been a little wider .
Would recommend to anyone with an odd shaped head and a busted nose

The
I hear what you are sayin bro...100% and I wasn't coming down on you, just enlightening the obvious...The lines have been drawn in the sand so to speak, and some will ultimately settle because they have no choice, others won't.

Take for example my Milwaukee 18v Cordless Hammer Drill. Hands down, the very best money I have spent in a power tool. It was made in Germany (yup, last of a dying breed) and has lasted me well over 14 years. I have beat it senseless, they replaced both battery packs almost 6 years into them (yeah nicad too), and i tore it apart once and re-greased the gearbox when it started making noise. I just finally bought a new combo and the damn things are made in China...I believe. I bought Ridgid li-ion 18v drill and impact set. After tons of research, they have the best ratings, have the strongest warranty as long as you follow the proper steps to register your tools, and have killer specs. I bought the whole set for the price of just the batteries for my Milwaukee. Don't get it confused though, I kept that badass Milwaukee, cuz one day I will swap it over to their li-ion setup and she will plug right along. But the bottom line is this: with the drill, I had no choice. I don't believe any tools are made here 100% anymore, so it was finding the best bang for my buck. With shades, it will be the same unfortunately.

The problem for Luxoakley is that they will no longer have that as a differentiation against a competitor, and if they are skimping on material quality while also jacking prices up, it won't be but a matter of time before people just say F it. I know I have limited my purchases a gigantic amount. There are a few, and by few I mean damn select few pairs I will even look at, none of them are Chinese. I would rather buy a vintage pair and rehab it completely than buy a Chinese piece of sh!t. Sorry, but that's just it. Just like I would rather buy a foreign car made here than buy a foreign made domestic.

I'm am an Irishman and agree with what you say when i lived in NY a couple of years back when possible i always bought American made when the option was available even if it was a little bit expensive as to buy the product which are made in the country you live supports jobs and an the economy that is a good thing as long as the product you require is as good as the foreign item but say Chinese made items are **** is wrong and considering the amount of people of Asian decent use & contribute to this forum it could be seen as a little bit offensive .

Just my view i may be wrong as i usually am

The

I'm am an Irishman and agree with what you say when i lived in NY a couple of years back when possible i always bought American made when the option was available even if it was a little bit expensive as to buy the product which are made in the country you live supports jobs and an the economy that is a good thing as long as the product you require is as good as the foreign item but say Chinese made items are **** is wrong and considering the amount of people of Asian decent use & contribute to this forum it could be seen as a little bit offensive .

Just my view i may be wrong as i usually am
no, it isn't wrong in any sense of the word. There are more examples of the chinese made products being inferior across the board than there are of the products being on par or superior. It is just fact, and the general consensus in virtually any conversation. Take for instance in the 80's, Ibanez Guitars, BC Rich Guitars, Canon Cameras, etc. For the guitars, it went like this: USA Made were the cream of the crop, period! Japanese made were the next step down, but a good product at a lower price point. Then the cheap-o's were Korean made. Now, if you get a Japanese made model, it is a great piece on par with the old USA Made models, reserving the USA made for being the custom shop models mainly any more, and the Chinese are the cheap-o's. Same with Electronics. Anything that came from Germany had a FAT price tag, but was a super quality item (audio equipment specifically), some was USA made and expensive (like Polk Audio speakers, Cerwin Vega, ETC), Japan had great stuff and was down on the price range compared to the earlier mentioned 2, with Taiwan being the dime store junk. Not so much now. Japanese is the higher end anymore, while everything else is junked out in China, with Taiwan being the mid line stuff. It is just what it is. Chinese tires, cheap, not the greatest quality in any conversation. Cars, parts, tires, etc. It is what it is. If the quality was there, the Chinese could demand the price point and still sell tons, but it isn't and the public won't pay the prices unless cornered into it. You going to get a better product from a 10 year old slave child, or a 20 year seasoned craftsman?

Now, to address the other wrong statement. First and foremost, you are UTTERLY wrong in saying it is offensive to the asians. I have tons of friends, customers, and so on that are of Asian decent. Not one that I know of has said anything to the contrary as to the statements being made of Chinese products being crap. Most of them have also said the same. So in that, yes, you are wrong. It isn't a statement of generalization, it is of specificity of a product or products, not of a culture. That's like saying Irish Whiskey sucks, and now labeling the entire Irish heritage as sucking too. Completely incorrect, especially since I am of Irish decent, and I have again, many Irish friends and customers. Besides, I don't drink whiskey of any kind except fireball, so I would be talking out my ass if I said it.

I will add to this specifically pertaining to the Oakley Chinese product I have personally handled, worked on, and dealt with.
  1. O Matter from China is more rubbery and springy feeling, much less firm and solid. I have handled the products starting at the Frogs from China up to the Boss 2, and lots in between.
  2. Lenses from China are flaking, peeling, and coming with way more blemishes than they ever have, ever. I have had more flake or peel in the last 4 months than I did in 7 years of cutting. And mind you, this is including Hydrophobic coated lenses that things shouldn't adhere to, let alone peel the iridium.
This is my observation having customized plenty so far, and having to get right down to it. The product is inferior to it's USA made counterpart.

Last edited:
no, it isn't wrong in any sense of the word. There are more examples of the chinese made products being inferior across the board than there are of the products being on par or superior. It is just fact, and the general consensus in virtually any conversation. Take for instance in the 80's, Ibanez Guitars, BC Rich Guitars, Canon Cameras, etc. For the guitars, it went like this: USA Made were the cream of the crop, period! Japanese made were the next step down, but a good product at a lower price point. Then the cheap-o's were Korean made. Now, if you get a Japanese made model, it is a great piece on par with the old USA Made models, reserving the USA made for being the custom shop models mainly any more, and the Chinese are the cheap-o's. Same with Electronics. Anything that came from Germany had a FAT price tag, but was a super quality item (audio equipment specifically), some was USA made and expensive (like Polk Audio speakers, Cerwin Vega, ETC), Japan had great stuff and was down on the price range compared to the earlier mentioned 2, with Taiwan being the dime store junk. Not so much now. Japanese is the higher end anymore, while everything else is junked out in China, with Taiwan being the mid line stuff. It is just what it is. Chinese tires, cheap, not the greatest quality in any conversation. Cars, parts, tires, etc. It is what it is. If the quality was there, the Chinese could demand the price point and still sell tons, but it isn't and the public won't pay the prices unless cornered into it. You going to get a better product from a 10 year old slave child, or a 20 year seasoned craftsman?

Now, to address the other wrong statement. First and foremost, you are UTTERLY wrong in saying it is offensive to the asians. I have tons of friends, customers, and so on that are of Asian decent. Not one that I know of has said anything to the contrary as to the statements being made of Chinese products being crap. Most of them have also said the same. So in that, yes, you are wrong. It isn't a statement of generalization, it is of specificity of a product or products, not of a culture. That's like saying Irish Whiskey sucks, and now labeling the entire Irish heritage as sucking too. Completely incorrect, especially since I am of Irish decent, and I have again, many Irish friends and customers. Besides, I don't drink whiskey of any kind except fireball, so I would be talking out my ass if I said it.

I will add to this specifically pertaining to the Oakley Chinese product I have personally handled, worked on, and dealt with.
  1. O Matter from China is more rubbery and springy feeling, much less firm and solid. I have handled the products starting at the Frogs from China up to the Boss 2, and lots in between.
  2. Lenses from China are flaking, peeling, and coming with way more blemishes than they ever have, ever. I have had more flake or peel in the last 4 months than I did in 7 years of cutting. And mind you, this is including Hydrophobic coated lenses that things shouldn't adhere to, let alone peel the iridium.
This is my observation having customized plenty so far, and having to get right down to it. The product is inferior to it's USA made counterpart.

I did not intend to offend you in any way and i am sure you know a lot more about Oakleys than i do or ever will.

Know let me tell you what I know to be true
IRISH WHISKEY IS ****E and i say with all honesty that Scotish Whiskey is far superior
and is from a man who has consumed more than i should and i may add that Bourbon is even nicer .

Back