• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How many Oakley X-Metals were produced?

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
Was discussing this with someone recently, and was curious if anyone knows how many total X-Metals were produced? Not talking about frames/color combos etc. but actual pairs (i.e 1 Million). Obviously this is known for some limited editions, especially when they are serialized, but I wasn't sure if there is any ballpark overall.

The X Squareds had the shortest run, so I would think there is less of those. But they dont seem to be as valuable

My WAG would be 5 million. Just in Romeos alone there probably were a half million. I think I've seen XM, Plasma and Titanium R1 serials into six figures; if there were 160,000 of each made well you're at 500,000 there alone.
Then the Juliets! All of the Juliets! How many XM Rubies, XM Black, Polished Fire, Plasma Fire, Plasma Ice? Tons.
Considering the overall volume it makes you understand why they stopped putting serials on the everyday colorways- why do that extra step a million or so times?

I doubt Oakley knows how many they made.

But... 5 million... That would be like 1000 pairs per day 300 days a year for 16 years? Could there really be that many? I was under the impression that the manufacturing capacity was a couple hundred max on the very best days with all hands on deck... That might bring the 5 mil WAG down a bit?

Granted the 40-some flavors of Juliets may very well push them up past 1 million. I can't fathom nearly that much molten Ti alloy being processed for the other styles. Maybe a couple hundred thousand of each, no more than a quarter million of the others (not Romeo or Juliet) including warranty pairs?

That said even if we cut the 5 million WAG in half that is still close to 500 pairs per day, which seems like a lot considering the manual labor involved in each pair and the discretion of that program.

Regardless, with non-serial and warranty pairs we will likely never know...

I doubt Oakley knows how many they made.

But... 5 million... That would be like 1000 pairs per day 300 days a year for 16 years? Could there really be that many? I was under the impression that the manufacturing capacity was a couple hundred max on the very best days with all hands on deck... That might bring the 5 mil WAG down a bit?

Granted the 40-some flavors of Juliets may very well push them up past 1 million. I can't fathom nearly that much molten Ti alloy being processed for the other styles. Maybe a couple hundred thousand of each, no more than a quarter million of the others (not Romeo or Juliet) including warranty pairs?

That said even if we cut the 5 million WAG in half that is still close to 500 pairs per day, which seems like a lot considering the manual labor involved in each pair and the discretion of that program.

Regardless, with non-serial and warranty pairs we will likely never know...
Ok, maybe that was a little high but I bet the number is pretty staggering.

No way to know for sure but I think the logic being considered here is the best way to guess - if someone with real knowledge on the subject could speak to the factory's production capacity, we could do the math to speculate the max that could have been produced...

It does make for interesting fodder!

Latest Posts

Back