• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How many Oakley X-Metals were produced?

@Ex_Oakley_Employee any insight on this? Of our active posters you probably have the best idea of what kind of capacity they might have been capable of.

@Ex_Oakley_Employee any insight on this? Of our active posters you probably have the best idea of what kind of capacity they might have been capable of.
Capacity is very hard to say! Did they work one, two or three shifts in Dayton? Let's say you had 15 people per shift finishing x metals and they could do 15 pair an hour. That's 1200 per day per shift or 264,000 per 220 work day year or 3.96MM over 15 years (1997-2012).
Add a shift and you double it to almost 8 MM over 15 years. Some insight into daily operations would certainly help!

The "X metal: Purpose Beyond Reason" youtube video states that 1 pair of glasses would take 3 weeks to complete when they are in production mode, with 27 different machining operations and 75 pairs of hands touching each pair. Gives a bit of insight but not the full picture so it would be difficult to estimate numbers without more information. I would imagine that they would have to re-tool their machines for different models which would take time and not sure how the frame finishing processes would have been handled. This video also shows some of the batches in ovens (I think that is what they are?) and gives an idea of the scale of the operation. Would be interesting to find out more about the manufacturing process. That is what got me addicted to these things as well as the mystery involved in all of it.

The guy that made the video for the last pour of x metals is friendly. I asked him a few questions a few months back.
Msg him through vimeo if ya want.

Interesting discussion, and a hard one to be sure of.

In my watch collecting corner of the world, we have it a little easier as, despite a lack of production records in the 60s-80s, Heuer used consecutive serials across all the models in the period. I wouldn't be surprised if Oakley's records for the X-Metal period were much more robust.

I am however able to state something about Juliet production as an indisputable fact.

There were at least 30. I can see them from here ;)

Well I've had Mars in the 25k range. So figure that per 3 colorways, same for Romeos, 3 colorways, and prob at least 3 colorways (gotta be more) for juliets. That's 225000 right there...

Back