• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How many Oakley X-Metals were produced?

China is cheaper. Period. Cheaper production costs allow for a higher profit margin as long as the glasses are still selling at a premium price. Sounds to me from everything I've read over the last several months that that x-metal line was simply too expensive to maintain. If the margin is higher on glasses easier to produce and there is more demand for the frames which are easier to produce, why wouldn't a large corporation like Lux want to maximize their profits? The current Madman and Badman releases I think are an attempt to fuse something that bears a similarity to the X-metal line to appeal to that fanbase but combines with their existing infrastructure to produce frames as cost effectively as possible.

I've pointed out on another thread with regards to a dior and Oakley lookalike, the reason the Madman and Badman are a goer, is because Lux know all the materials and expertise needed to produce it pretty cheaply are already in China.

You are right to an extent. It's not too expensive to maintain the X-metal line, they just don't want to eat into profits to maintain it, so these choose not to maintain it. For the company, it's hard to argue I guess.

X-metal is loved by fans on sites like this, but most people who buy Frogskins, Holbrooks (the top sellers for Lux these days) really don't care about X-metal. It's a brutal fact, but a fact nevertheless.

Maybe the real value of the x metal purpose beyond reason just started with me, or you all have kept this secret for so long? I feel some kind of special feeling when wearing it. At least it helps me question why why why, just like that.

Bros, Linegear is not just a biz, it is basically a family. We put all our effort to make a rubber that fits the value of the x metal. Linegear's philosophy while developing this rubber (which takes one year to develop one refine product) is "it is about people", we want to make a "revive" to make a nice frame (look like a piece of arts to stay alive, so you can play, change lenses according to (Blue when you go fishing, Black when driving, clear when drive at night....) as long as it is, so you people are happy.

Sorry our sales doesn't allow us to make such a dramatic video.

And yes the 100% customer satisfaction say more than my words here.

:focus:
Excuse me Sir @jim jannard , could you shed some light into this burning question please? Thank you.
@OakleyBoss : Was discussing this with someone recently, and was curious if anyone knows how many total X-Metals were produced? Not talking about frames/color combos etc. but actual pairs (i.e 1 Million). Obviously this is known for some limited editions, especially when they are serialized, but I wasn't sure if there is any ballpark overall.

It's funny how they made so many millions of them but you never see them in public

That's an observation I've read here before and confirmed personally all the time, X-MAN. This past holiday weekend Harrisburg has "Kipona", a 3 day long celebration where they close a street along the river and fill it with vendors and bands, and they carry it over onto City Island in the middle of the river and have tightrope walkers on the bridges, blah, blah, blah. I rode down on my bike 2 of the 3 days and sat for an hour or so and watched people go by and saw plenty of O-Matter but not one Metal. (The Costa D-bags were out IN FORCE too, let me tell you)

Latest Posts

Back