• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How Much Does A Box Make A Difference To Collectors? Ichiro Polished Slate

OakleyNewbie91

Oakley Beginner
Obviously, as a collector, brand new in box is best. Next is like new in box. Etc, etc.

In terms of Oakleys, how much does it matter to collectors? I have a pair of 3rd Release Ichiro Juliet X-Metal Polished/Slate, I was looking to possibly sell and I can't find my box. How much do these averagely go for with or without box? That'll determine if i rip my basement apart or just take a hit.

Obviously, as a collector, brand new in box is best. Next is like new in box. Etc, etc.

In terms of Oakleys, how much does it matter to collectors? I have a pair of 3rd Release Ichiro Juliet X-Metal Polished/Slate, I was looking to possibly sell and I can't find my box. How much do these averagely go for with or without box? That'll determine if i rip my basement apart or just take a hit.
Rip ur basement apart then message me :) I would say u lose 100-150

I think to accurately assess your pair's value, it's condition is important as well as it being complete. In the case of the Ichiro's the box is important because it's one of the better looking LE/SE (limited edition/special edition) boxes. But also of importance is the fact that all of the wear items on this release are very expensive these days.
To speak to the value of an Ichiro, do all the parts add up? If it's a serialized pair that's a great start and from what I believe that I know about yours they are- is so that's a great start.
Let's say that a boxed mint example is a $600-650 pair. If yours need lenses subtract $150. If yours need blue rubbers subtract $75. If yours need a tune-up subtract $50. If you are missing the box, like DOH said subtract $100-150.
An unboxed pair needing rubbers, lenses, tune-up and missing box are essentially a frame- probably best sold to someone who already has a set of rubbers and lenses or someone who has made a clone pair and wants to upgrade to a serialized pair.
I don't know the state that your basement is in but if these were mine and I knew that it was there I would have spent all weekend down there, If the pair is in substandard condition the box would make a world of difference in overall value. If in mint condition like DOH said, the box adds about $100-150. So a mint pair unboxed = $500. A pair needing restoration = $300. A mint, boxed pair with matching serial on the box = $650
IMHO...

Gotcha, Thanks for the info!! Well as it stands, I would consider my pair near mint. Frame is great, nose bridge joints are great, rubber is great, lenses are good*. They are lightly scuffed but must be seen in the right light to see. I'll take a herder look for the box, but it is a zoo. Would take me weeks. So for near mint glasses and bag only, what do you think?
20140825_100814.jpg

Gotcha, Thanks for the info!! Well as it stands, I would consider my pair near mint. Frame is great, nose bridge joints are great, rubber is great, lenses are good*. They are lightly scuffed but must be seen in the right light to see. I'll take a herder look for the box, but it is a zoo. Would take me weeks. So for near mint glasses and bag only, what do you think?View attachment 102073
Scuff meaning?

By scuff, I mean light marks on the lenses. I can not assess if they would need replacing or not. Because you can not tell unless looking from right angle. I would not replace, but I don't know about others.

Honestly any marks on the lenses and to a collector they are pretty much done. To a user maybe not but then again a user would not see any additional value in a pair of Ichiros.

Those lenses can be found on ebay occasionally at a cost of approx $179. I haven't seen a pair listed there for about 2 months. I have a pair but they are personal stock.
It's funny that this forum seems to be followed by some ebay sellers and as soon as we discuss unique pairs/requirements they magically seem to appear there.
Last week we were discussing polished with G30 lenses then up pops a pair where there haven't been any listed there pretty much all year.
I wouldn't be surprised if a pair pops up there real soon.

Those lenses can be found on ebay occasionally at a cost of approx $179. I haven't seen a pair listed there for about 2 months. I have a pair but they are personal stock.
It's funny that this forum seems to be followed by some ebay sellers and as soon as we discuss unique pairs/requirements they magically seem to appear there.
Last week we were discussing polished with G30 lenses then up pops a pair where there haven't been any listed there pretty much all year.
I wouldn't be surprised if a pair pops up there real soon.

Kinda like when you think of a movie that you haven't seen for years and the next day it's airing on one of the movie channels? What are they doing, reading my mind?!?!? Do I need to start wearing an aluminum hat?

Seems like it'd be easier for those sellers to join the forum and sell on the exchange...