• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

How NOT to treat your XX!

xmetal40

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
USA
Just bought these off a local guy. Obviously I am an X-Metal collector, and value these glasses differently than most, but the following photographs represent a horror show.

IMG_1980.JPG
IMG_1981.JPG
IMG_1982.JPG
IMG_1983.JPG
IMG_1984.JPG

The flex cuppler rates at, oh, say a .5 out of 10.

IMG_1985.JPG
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_1987.JPG
IMG_1988.JPG
IMG_1989.JPG

Left gasket...you be the judge.

IMG_1990.JPG

The lenses needed a serious cleaning, years ago. Yuck.....prescription so not needed. Hello trash can!

IMG_1991.JPG

Right gasket in a little better shape.

IMG_1992.JPG

Tshocks look very bad.

IMG_1993.JPG

More grime. This time inside the orbital.

IMG_1994.JPG

Overall, this frame represents why consistent maintenance should be adhered to from every X-Metal owner.

Just bought these off a local guy. Obviously I am an X-Metal collector, and value these glasses differently than most, but the following photographs represent a horror show.

View attachment 364114 View attachment 364115 View attachment 364116 View attachment 364117 View attachment 364118

The flex cuppler rates at, oh, say a .5 out of 10.

View attachment 364119 View attachment 364120 View attachment 364121 View attachment 364122 View attachment 364123

Left gasket...you be the judge.

View attachment 364124

The lenses needed a serious cleaning, years ago. Yuck.....prescription so not needed. Hello trash can!

View attachment 364125

Right gasket in a little better shape.

View attachment 364126

Tshocks look very bad.

View attachment 364127

More grime. This time inside the orbital.

View attachment 364128

Overall, this frame represents why consistent maintenance should be adhered to from every X-Metal owner.
I knew a guy here on the forum and his metal was worse than that. Sent him to @THE X-MAN

Seems like most of the frames I buy look like this, haha. Glad it has a new home where it will be treated better. It's a real testament to their design that even with all the abuse that frame looks great. For sure the rubber and screws are shot, but those are expected to wear out. Can't wait to see what she looks like once you've done your magic and fixed her up. For me, that's the fun part of collecting...

Seems like most of the frames I buy look like this, haha. Glad it has a new home where it will be treated better. It's a real testament to their design that even with all the abuse that frame looks great. For sure the rubber and screws are shot, but those are expected to wear out. Can't wait to see what she looks like once you've done your magic and fixed her up. For me, that's the fun part of collecting...

I also enjoy the process of rebuilding a frame. There's a lot to be said for refurbishing a frame. It can be truly rewarding.

Yeah that's actually very average. And most people are so freaked out how nice they are when there tight again........ And then all of a sudden they start buying more and more of them.

Last edited:

The X-Man meant the transformation from a beat up frame to a brand new frame, after the transformation takes place, makes people happy and they seek out the so-called beater frames like the one I displayed above. Many people really do not understand how much can be done to these frames. They take a lot of abuse, but return to life!

The X-Man meant the transformation from a beat up frame to a brand new frame, after the transformation takes place, makes people happy and they seek out the so-called beater frames like the one I displayed above. Many people really do not understand how much can be done to these frames. They take a lot of abuse, but return to life!

I know, haha. I was just pulling his leg. :D

I just had mine brought back to life as well. It's truly amazing how durable the frames are. And then, you have people who call them ugly. T_T

I want to see their glasses hold up for 10-20 years.

Back